walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fort william

Fort william

Postby RUGBYPLAYER » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Bodach, An Gearanach, Mullach nan Coirean, Sgùrr a' Mhàim, Sgùrr Chòinnich Mòr, Stob Bàn (Mamores), Stob Choire Claurigh, Stob Coire a' Chàirn, Stob Coire an Laoigh

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 24 hours

Distance: 50 km

Ascent: 3947m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I headed up to Fort William with my Dad and his two friends for a long weekend of camping and walking on the Friday night. We camped at the Glen Mavis camp site and headed off at 7:00am on the Saturday to walk the Ring of Steall. I loved crossing the steel rope bridge all the exposed scrambling whilst :( walking the ridges, the weather was good and we had clear views for most of the day. It took us just over 8hrs to do the circuit and the only bit I did,nt enjoy was the steep descent back down to the carpark

We set off again at 7:00am on the Sunday morning, this time to do The Grey Corries. My legs were still a bit stiff from the Saturday but once we got going I felt ok again. The weather had turned from the Saturday as it was cold, windy and really misty. We did,nt have any views all the way up to the first two munro's. The ridges were still good fun as there was some sections of scrambling especially when my Dad took us off course going down to sgurr choinnich mor and we had to climb back up to get on the right track again. The long walk back to the car was a bit boring as we could'nt see anything and the boggy track where the old railway track was never ending. It was good to bag a few more munro's though and we finished off a good day by going for a curry in Fort William

The Monday morning we had a lie in till 7:00am as we had to drop the tent and pack all the gear. I was for coming right home but we had a vote and we decided to walk Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean. The weather turned good again and we had great views of the mountais we had climbed on the Saturday. I really enjoyed the ridge up to Stob Ban and the long ridge down to the second munro. My legs were a bit stiff coming down but it was worth the extra effort to bag another two munro's. We had a chippie in Fort William before driving back home where I can get a rest and play my playstation in peace for a few days before Dad takes me off yet again. :lol:
RUGBYPLAYER

Munros:141   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Re: Fort william

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm

Well done on your nine Munros in three days :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland