walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Icy Ben Vane

Icy Ben Vane

Postby Fraser87 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 03/04/2012

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 915m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided with my leave to have a short day on the hill whilst driving to my parents house. Ben Vane it is then. This is a short walk in distance and height but it is a very tough walk with the steepness of Ben Vane.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off from the power station and up the road under the railway, then upwards to the damn. Looking to the right Ben Vorlich the steepness of that looks like another sore day. Normally I would have done the two in a day but I've been living in Lincolnshire for the past 6 months (not even seeing a slope let alone a hill) and having an injury to my Piriformis meant that I would have to do a short day.

Over the bridge onto the path and up the steep slopes I went. Very icy on the way up was glad of my axe but felt a bit silly having decided to do a steep Munro on my own. After a lot of kicking steps I finally reached the last of the false summits, had some lunch and sheltered from the 40mph freezing winds.

The way back down felt like a different mountain as the ice had almost melted.

DSCF0769.JPG
Looking up on my way down.

I will definitely have to do this hill again, out of all the hills in Arrochar this is by far the toughest.

2weeks time and I shall be in Skye for the weekend, wonder if I'll be up on the ridge or climbing. Decisions decisions

DSCF0766.JPG

DSCF0770.JPG
Ben Lomond
Fraser87
Stravaiging

Munros:75   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Icy Ben Vane

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 pm

A nice little report and enjoyed your photos :D It's great to get out whatever the distance!
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland