walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Bothy/shelter help

Bothy/shelter help

Postby jools » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:38 pm

We are busy planning a trip in the Ullapool area, and was needing some advice on a possible bothy located at NH 3054/8880 at the foot of Seana Bhraigh near Loch a Choire Mhoir.

Can the building be used as a bothy?

Thanks Julie (jools)
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Re: Bothy/shelter help

Postby gaffr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:42 pm

It is on my list as Coiremor (MBA Bothy). Never stayed in this bothy but could see it from the Creag an Duine ridge which we used to the top out on Seana Braigh. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby trekker53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi,

I stayed there last year at Coiremor/Magoos bothy. Walked in from Oykel Bridge. Bagged the Munro the next morning. This bothy is wonderful with bunk beds and mattresses. The Bothy was rebuilt by friends of Mark Maguire who was killed in peacekeeping duties in Kosovo 2001.
Check out www.geograph.org.uk and use the search facility. This site aims to have photos in every sq kilometre in UK. Very handy when doing research of your chosen area.
Hope this helps,
Charlie
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am

It would appear that you could be spoiled for choice at this bothy. :D As the gentleman ( prior reply) stated regarding the RAF renovated memorial bothy...... there are two other parts that are independent of this one. The MBA part and another wee section in between which, I am informed, has a stove. :) The structure is one long building.
My MBA data, that came with membership some twenty odd years ago, is now out of date. Ruigh Aiteachain was the bothy that I was associated with for a few years. A big thanks to all those who continue to upgrade these buidings providing valuable shelter for us all to make use of in the hill areas.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby jools » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:01 am

Cheers Gaffr,
As always when you reply to a query i just know the info will be just what im looking for. :D .

By the way this is davetherave here. You may have noticed already by my wifes choice of Avatar.

trekker53 wrote:Hi,

I stayed there last year at Coiremor/Magoos bothy. Walked in from Oykel Bridge. Bagged the Munro the next morning. This bothy is wonderful with bunk beds and mattresses. The Bothy was rebuilt by friends of Mark Maguire who was killed in peacekeeping duties in Kosovo 2001.
Check out www.geograph.org.uk and use the search facility. This site aims to have photos in every sq kilometre in UK. Very handy when doing research of your chosen area.
Hope this helps,
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, and yes it did help very much. Thanks so much for your reply.
PS, Smashing report you added recently, will have to check it out again. Its not the same viewing it on a mobile.!
jools
Munro compleatist

Munros:195   Corbetts:71
Fionas:21   Donalds:3

Postby trekker53 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 pm

Jools,
Enjoy your overnight at the bothy. :D The walk up is quite easy though a bit steep at first.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion