walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Compleating

Compleating

Postby scoob999 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:59 pm

This might seem like a silly question, but
Do you have to finish your first round of Munros before starting on your second?
Or can they run concurrently?
Does it matter?
Cheers
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Compleating

Postby Gythral » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm

If they can run concurrecntly I've started about 50 rounds on Cairnogrm, but the first round was started on Ben Nevis...

Does it matter as long as you only count each ascent of a given munro once?

But if you are bagging peaks then I'd be tempted to get on with completing a first round and then only climbing the ones you enjoyed or offer other routes up, or as with me and Cairngorm they happen to be easy to access!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby clivegrif » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:32 pm

Hi Scoob

Do whatever you fancy!

Before I finished off my one and only compleation, I had climbed several good mountains a number of times over.

Why miss out on the chance of doing a cracking winter route on Ben Nevis for example simply because you haven't trudged up one of the many Geal Charns.....

I don't think the Venerable Sir Hugh ever envisaged that anyone would do them all more than once!

Good luck.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby scoob999 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks
Thats the kind of replies i was hoping for :D
What it was is that i've done so many hills where i aint seen a thing, i'm gonna have to go back again!

My plan was to do the round, then go back to do ones i done in bad weather
I doubt if i'll ever do two rounds, might no even get one! but will keep a record anyway
Plus if you were to do a round in good weather, would you live long enough to finish them?
:lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby KeithS » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:24 pm

The only rules are the ones that you set yourself. Some people would say they have only done a ridge walk if you have stuck to the absolute crest of the ridge the entire way. That doesn't bother me. It is what you are happy with. Just be honest with yourself. I was on a sponsored walk up Ben Nevis (I'm sorry, I was young and naive then) and the organisers gave certificates to everyone who started up the hill stating they had climbed it, even the ones who didn't get even half way up. I think that was wrong.

I'm planning my third ascent of A'Mhaigdhean next month and I haven't even finished my first round yet. I'm sure I won't get reported for doing them out of order.

I might not even finish my first round (yeah, right). If I have enjoyed a hill I am more than happy to do it again and unclimbed hills can wait.

Just enjoy

Keith
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:32 pm

There's a thread running on UKC about this at the moment: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=500996
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby scoob999 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 pm

jmarkb wrote:There's a thread running on UKC about this at the moment: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=500996

I read a lot of that, and its funny how some threads get funny!
As in if you climbed a hill 50 times would you be on your 50th round? No, you'd be on your first round if you had'nt compleated i'd have thought?
I suppose like has been said already, it's down to the individual
And for me personally if i start a hill for a second time on a different day, that'll be good enough for me

I wonder how Steven Fallon does it?
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Postby soulminer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:39 pm

It makes no difference how you decide to count your summits, as long as you have walked from the bottom to the top of each.
I've climbed many hills several times, even before compleating, but personally I don't concider them as separate rounds each time I summited - no intention of compleating multiple rounds, only whatever I choose to climb at the time.
I still concider myself to have compleated on 284, although one was demoted three weeks after climbing it- but I started with 284 as my target and achieved it, no matter what anyone says !
soulminer

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 pm

IMO; this is where the whole munro ticking stuff goes completely mental.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Ranger » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:38 am

Not sure how this word 'round' comes in. I don't use it myself.

If you've done all the Munros once, you've done the Munros.
If you've done all the Munros twice, you've done the Munros twice, regardless of whether some were done before or after 'compleation'.

I think using the word 'round' in this context only really makes sense if you follow the start-all-over-again method, other wise its a bit nonsensical.
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:02 am

I think Clivegrif has it right when he doubts that the Venerable Sir Hugh ever imagined anyone would want to do them all more than once.

Common sense would suggest that you embark on your second round with your first repeat ascent regardless of whether you've finished the first round. I've a handful still to do, which I could easily do this year If I get myself organised, but I'm not in any hurry. Only did three new Munros last year. At the moment I seem to be collecting more Grahams than anything else, largely because it's the only option if I want to do something new that's an easy day trip from home.

So far I've logged almost 100 repeat Munro ascents, the record so far being 9 ascents of An Socach in G Affric, so technically I've embarked on my ninth round without having finished the first, but I don't ever see myself "compleating" twice let alone nine times. On that dubious basis I've also embarked on my 28th round of the Corbetts while being a long way short of finishing the first! And as for the sub-2000 Marilyns I think I've begun my 180th round thanks to the wee hill an hour and a quarter's walk from my front door!

A friend of mine has done all the Munros, Corbetts, Grahams AND Munro Tops for good measure , yet claims never to go on the hill if the weather is anything less than perfect. Another claims no interest in Munros as such but collects Marilyns instead , only he likes climbing them in the dark.

Funny thing right enough, peak bagging.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby SMRussell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 am

Gable Gable End wrote:IMO; this is where the whole munro ticking stuff goes completely mental.

I whole heartedly agree. Only the other day we bagged Cairngorm and Bynack More and summited Cairngorm again on the way back - does that mean I've officially started round 2? For me NO. Completing will be grand but there are a few Munros already on the "never to return to" list and, like Scoob there are a good few on the "must return for views" list too!
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby clivegrif » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:42 pm

rabthecairnterrier wrote:I've a handful still to do, which I could easily do this year If I get myself organised, but I'm not in any hurry. Only did three new Munros last year.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Blimey Rab, how do you stay so chilled about it! With only 8 to go I was completely gripped by OCD. Ben More (Mull) could have been completely on fire and it still wouldn't have stopped me!

Get it sorted man - you might get hit by the one bus a week that goes through the North Highlands! :D

Good luck.
clivegrif
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:37
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:194
Wainwrights:50   Islands:3

Postby AlisonFox66 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:00 pm

I was looking into this today as I realised that I was halfway through a second round but seven had been done twice before I completed my first round

More mischeviously anyone like the idea of 'swapping'like we did with tea cards as kids

I will swap you eight Ben Vorlichs or five Stuc A Chroins for one Am Bastier
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gaffr » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:39 pm

I'm no swapping Carn Cloich-mhuillin, Meal Dubhag, Geal Charn, Am Bodach and several others now gathering dust in the weighty tomes on the shelves of the great keeper of the lists in Edinburgh. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion