walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When Johnny Comes Lately

When Johnny Comes Lately

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh, from Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Donachain

Date walked: 09/04/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to work commitments I could only walk on the holiday Monday at the weekend.
When Johnny Corbett texted to see if I had plans for walking at the weekend I jumped at the chance. Thought need to keep my fitness up for my final munros. Johnny was holidaying in Oban with Kim and Claire and planned to do a few hills nearby whilst there.

The plan was to climb the Corbett Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh at Glen Orchy as it was not too long a day and the weather wasn’t looking promising.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 001.jpg
starting point!

Planned to meet at 10 am at the starting point where its signposted with a big P for Parking at the Eas Urchaidh on the map! Someone was sitting at another seemingly parking bay..Johnny Come lately!
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 002.jpg

Therefore started the walk at 1030am. Followed the good track alongside the Allt Broighleachan. If tackling the munro alone as we soon found out on the way back you should then take the Mountain Bike Trail when signed to Bridge of Orchy.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 003.jpg

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 004.jpg

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 005.jpg
nearly a goner

Due to chatting we followed the track all the way round to the Lochan Coire Thoraidh and headed up past the small lochans to take in the Graham Beinn Donachain. When ascending this hill, the weather soon changed and we encountered huge hailstones, snow and it became bitterly cold. I doned my goggles at this point and headed towards the summit of Beinn Donachain.

From the summit of the graham the cloud and weather changed and we could see the Corbett beinn Mhic Mhonaidh. Headed down off the summit and had lunch facing Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh. Headed down towards the Allt nan Giuthas found a good place to cross and easily managed over the river.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 008.jpg

Headed up towards the east of An Sgriodan and along the ridge towards the summit of Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh. Cracking views on the way up over towards Ben Cruachan, Ben Eunaich and over to Ben Lui.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 009.jpg
ben cruachan

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 010.jpg
towarda Beinn Mhic Mhonaidh
towards Beinn mhic mhonaidh

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 011.jpg
summit pic

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 012.jpg
lochan just after the summit

From the summit headed north east and down towards the forest, over a fence! through the forest and picked up the track.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 013.jpg
ouch

After coming out of the forest headed left towards the mountain bike trail, over the bridge and picked up our track back along the Allt Broighleachan.
corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 014.jpg

corbett beinn mhic-mhonaidh 015.jpg

Back to the car in 7hours.
Last edited by mountain thyme on Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: When Johnny Comes Lately

Postby soulminer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:53 pm

A fair difference in snow depth in the few days since we were there :) Same amount of layers on the summit though !
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Nice report, lovely hill, bold mountain shape seen from near Stronmilchan/Glen Strae near the monument.
_3160793.jpg
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Hope your usual walking partner is back talking to you MT,would be a shame for him to miss your final Munros,anyway a nice report as always MT.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:14 pm

Great report as always with a lovely couple of 'near miss' photos....almost an eye watering event in that deer fence assault :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:03 pm

A fine report MT. Lucky i arrived late or we could have been on the Corbett when we got the hail shower :D Is that you now a Graham bagger? :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland