walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sneaking up on The Cobbler

Sneaking up on The Cobbler

Postby lomondwalkers » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 11/04/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Woke up yesterday to a dreich morning and no plans or desire to do any hills. The only 'event' of the day was to put the car into the garage for repair (again!!!! :evil: ) and pick up the courtesy car in Dumbarton. On the short drive home, the cloud was starting to lift to reveal the snow level on the Luss Grahams at around 400m..... Hmmmmmm interesting....... Waited a while to see if things cleared up, and by lunchtime things were looking fairly bright 8) A quick text to my partner in grime and a plan was hatched to sneak up on The Cobbler from Glen Croe as we'd been the usual ways before.

We parked up in the layby on the right handside of the a83 (approx. 243060 just before the bridge) where there is a stile over the fence to the right of the unnamed stream, from there a path (feint at times) follows the stream until it meets up and crosses then follows the tributary flowing down from the higher ground of the Northwest facing slopes of The Cobbler, and from here the first of the fresh snow was met and the views were opening up 8)
1819.jpg
Beinn Ime summit just right of centre
DSC_0020.JPG
Ben Donich
DSC_0023.JPG
The view ahead

Progress was fairly quick upto around 700m , then became slower and slower as the snow deepened to knee level, and finally reached the familiar cairn in just under 2 hours, and even with a good bit of cloud around, the views were still fantastic, so good to see some white back on the hills after a fairly mild Winter. We topped up on food and water then headed upto the summit pinnacle, no threading the needle today even if there wasn't much snow on it :lol: We stayed here for a while, one minute clagged in the next minute some fine views, taking it all in as this could be our last Winter walk of the season. Eventually we dragged ourselves away from the summit and back to the cairn where we retraced our ascent route. I chose to do this mainly on foot, Del 'chose' to do most of the descent on his bahooki :lol: Great day, great views, and as always, great company 8)

Some photies....
Pano.jpg
View behind us on ascent
DSC_0026.JPG
Old man with walking stick
DSC_0034.JPG
Summit crags
DSC_0036.JPG
Loch Long, Loch Lomond & Ben Lomond
DSC_0038.JPG
Fangs for the memories
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0053.JPG
North peak cairn
DSC_0055.JPG
Nice!!
DSC_0058.JPG
Made it!
DSC_0059.JPG
Oi Oi!!!!
DSC_0063.JPG
Atmospheric
DSC_0066.JPG
As brave as I got!
DSC_0073.JPG
Del Boy
Pano(1).jpg
Summit view
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Re: Sneaking up on The Cobbler

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Dave, glad you and Derek were able to sneak on out and do a walk :lol:

Some great photos showing the contrasts in your weather, fantastic :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Cracking hike LW, those beautiful pics speak for themselves.....but that knee deep snow.....you can keep that stuff I've seen enough of that to last me a lifetime :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:09 pm

Fantastic to see the double D's out on the hills again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Brilliant set of photo's Dave, just a pity none of them are of you and Derek on top of the pinnacle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loved this :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:54 am

SusieThePensioner wrote:Dave, glad you and Derek were able to sneak on out and do a walk :lol:

Some great photos showing the contrasts in your weather, fantastic :thumbup:

Cheers Susie, just looked too good to miss once the cloud lifted 8)

ChrisW wrote:Cracking hike LW, those beautiful pics speak for themselves.....but that knee deep snow.....you can keep that stuff I've seen enough of that to last me a lifetime :lol:

:lol: No wonder there's been a shortage of the white stuff here with all the snow you've been getting!! It's nice to see it back for a wee while :D

pollyh33 wrote:Fantastic to see the double D's out on the hills again :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Brilliant set of photo's Dave, just a pity none of them are of you and Derek on top of the pinnacle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Loved this :D

I'll get Delilah back up there in summer and promise him a 24 pack of Peroni if he does it :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Jockstar » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Looks like you guys had lots of fun and It would have been good to get a photo of you boys on top of The Cobbler :D That can wait for a better another day. !!
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:31 pm

A great day was had JS :D I was very tempted to do the pinnacle, but the snow/ice on the slant put me off :(
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:50 am

I had a week off work last week and had orginally planned to walk The Cobbler for the first time as it looks a great walk. Very glad I didn't after seeing you in deep snow as I don't have the experience for that and would have had to turn back. Fantastic photos, looks like a great day out.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Cracking day despite the claggy bits - well done. "The view ahead" certainly looks very steep but guess it gets you up there quickly - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ngm1scot » Sun May 19, 2013 9:57 am

Great pics - specially liked the Loch Long one. Still a bit of a mountain fearty when it comes to snow but great route.
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland