walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Falkland Flyer

Falkland Flyer

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 12/04/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 962m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my wee wander round West Lothian, I felt I needed another warm up before Mayar and Dreish on Saturday. So the mother was grabbed and we were off to Fife to bag another county top.

An hour later we were parking up at Craigmead Car Park just outside Falkland and off up West Lomond, two comfortable hours and much blethering later, the top of West Lomond was reached. The path is a well walked and well maintained affair and most of the path barely seems to rise any at all, but it brings you closer and closer to the giant tea cake shaped peak that is Fife's highest point.

We struggled to see anything to the north, but the sky was streaked with dark clouds over Dundee and Tayside. The Firth of Tay appearing a steel grey scar across the landscape. To the south, the sun was shining brightly over Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes and Grangemouth. Dramatically the northern side of the Ochils were cloaked in darkness and rain, while the southern side was basking in sunshine. Ben Vorlich, Stuc A'Chroin and Ben Lomond kept appearing and disappearing through the cloud as well.

Loch Leven was a surprising sight from the top as well, I dunno what I expected to see from the top, but I didn't expect to see such a big loch that had remained hidden on the whole journey up.

We shared a cup of tea at the top, but by now the wind was getting up and so it was off back to the car, but for the old dear it was the highest hill she'd ever been up and I think she had a real sense of achievement, given she is badly affected by arthritis in her knees.

Back to the car then for us and that was enough for Mum, so I left her in the car with her crossword and flask tea and made off up the path for East Lomond, as I neared the top I realised I had also left the camera phone in the car! D'oh! But the view were similar as from West Lomond. The Eastern hill was done in just under 90 minutes and it was off back to Falkland to buy a comb for our wind blasted hair!! ..and to grab a pic of the palace.

Then off to St. Andrew's for dinner. Best day I ever had out in Fife.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Re: Falkland Flyer

Postby SMRussell » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:15 pm

Stunning area this - the waterfalls near the East hill are just beautiful. Nice one :thumbup:
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby jimandandrea » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Well done to your mum, :)
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:07 pm

jimandandrea wrote:Well done to your mum, :)

Totally, she can barely walk around the house sometimes due to her arthritic knees, so to get up West Lomond was a massive achievement for her. She's desperate to bag a munro now though!!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland