walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Aiberdeen Wifie

Aiberdeen Wifie

Postby newroamer1 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi All

As a total newby to this outdoor malarky, i just want to say hi and look forward to picking your experienced brains as how to enjoy this new pastime, safely and confidently.

I live in Aberdeen, have ventured out with friends who stay in Inverness for a few walks in the past year, have managed Ben Wyvis, Lairig Ghru and numerous low level walks. I'm raring to go this year but dont know where to start really, i'm not confident or experienced enough to venture far on my own and i'm struggling to find walking buddies amongst my friends locally. Can anyone recommend small walking groups that cater for the over 40's in my area?

Cheers
newroamer1

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Aiberdeen Wifie

Postby luckyguy68 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Welcome to the site. I am fairly new to this as well. My action plan involved using WH for info on the sub 2000 hills in my area. After having ticked of a good few of them i moved up to a corbett and then munros following four months of building up my fitness and knowledge. Not tried the group thing right enough. Im a bit of a free spirit. :lol: Hope this is of some help to you
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby laconic surf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 am

Hi,
I did the same thing as Luckyguy. Started on the sub2k's near me. It really builds up both confidence and hill fitness. Good luck and let us know how you get on. As for clubs in your area have a look at this thread :D

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3877
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby newroamer1 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Hi guys

Thanks for the advice i was thinking along those lines, i'm not too keen on group walking but confidence seems to be a bigger hurdle than the hills at this point. I will have a bash and keep you updated on my efforts.

:)
newroamer1

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jenniferc6 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi there

I do most of my walking on my own and to start with was a bit worried about getting lost etc but the best thing is to gradually build up to longer/ more difficult walks. Ben Rinnes and Bennachie were amongst the first hills I climbed and are good to start off with since there's a clear path to follow.

Have fun!
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:183
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...