walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye info?

Skye info?

Postby owldbaldygit » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Am going to Skye for a few days and fancy having a crack at a bit of the ridge. Fancy Gillean, any recommendations for routes? Any other recommendations for a "newby" though I have done Crib Goch in Wales.
owldbaldygit

Re: Skye info?

Postby foggieclimber » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:04 pm

There are three main routes up Sgurr nan Gillean:

South-East Ridge (Tourist Route)
Normally graded at Grade 3, but downgraded to Grade 2 (not sure why!), in most recent SMC Cuillin guide.

West Ridge via
i) Easy Chimney & Tooth Arete (Grade 3/Moderate)
ii) Tooth Chimney (Difficult)
iii) Nicholson's Chimney (Difficult)

Pinnacle Ridge (Grade 3/Difficult)

As to quality of routes
Pinnacle Ridge ****
West Ridge **
South-East Ridge (Tourist Route) **

Pinnacle Ridge is awesome.

Crib Goch is only a Grade 1 scramble, so all three routes up Sgurr nan Gillean are technically harder.

As a newbie, if tackling SnG I would recommend the South-East ridge and/or hiring a guide.
foggieclimber

Postby owldbaldygit » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks for that, it is very informative. As I have said I have traversed Crib Goch a couple of times staying on the very crest and over the pinnacles and found it to be straightforward whereas comments I have seen on this sight vary from suggesting that Crib goch is the sacriest place on earth to being a simple stroll in the park. It is difficult to know who to believe.
owldbaldygit

Postby IainG » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:28 pm

If you just fancy a taste of the ridge, Sgurr nan Eag and Sgurr Dubh Mor is a cracking day out with a bit of scrambling.
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion