walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Snow conditions (mamores)

Snow conditions (mamores)

Postby krueschan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi all,

I am wondering if anybody could give me any insights re the current (or recent) snow conditions. Specifically, I am planning to do parts (or all) of the Mamores Ridge on Tuesday and Wednesday (in two separate trips) and I am wondering if anybody could give me any advice on what sort of snow situation I should expect on the ridge, whether crampons are likely required/advisable etc.

I have done part of the ridge a few years back (as part of a full traversal attempt which had to be abondoned after my hiking partner pulled a muscle), so generally speaking I am familiar with the terrain, but my last visit was in late summer, so obviously the general situation was different. I am also familiar and experienced with winter situations, basically just haven't been up this year at all and no idea what to expect right now.

I shall be grateful for any advice or insight!
Christian
krueschan

Re: Snow conditions (mamores)

Postby Milesy » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Last weekend in Crianlarich there was plenty of snow which was soft and winter gear was not used. There looked like more up in Lochaber, especially on the higher tops which the Mamores have a few of. Soft easy snow can become hard and icy in a day of weather change. I wouldn't be going anywhere without crampons and axe with the current forecast of more snow and cold temperatures.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Re: Snow conditions (mamores)

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:43 pm

still a lot of snow on ben nevis and grey corries today as seen when driving past the commando memorial. i wouldnt be going anywhere around there without winter gear and the forecast is for freezing conditions at 3000 feet
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion