walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Dubh Sunday walk.

Creag Dubh Sunday walk.

Postby gaffr » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:19 am

Fionas included on this walk: Creag Dhubh (Newtonmore)

Date walked: 22/04/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After deepish and soft snow on the Cairngorm plateau on Saturday in poor light but without any wind a shorter 'promenade du dimanche' was the order for the day after.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1 HPIM5864.jpg
My usual route is to ascend a kindof ramp between the lower and the upper crags used by the wild goats and descending climbers.....bumble over the boulders to reach the ledge or if wet go out further right.
2 HPIM5867.jpg
After the boulders the ramp is reached....no goats today....they were all down beside the main road chewing on the new grass.
3 HPIM5868.jpg
Follow the diagonal ramp...plenty of trees around....to reach a walled area just about the falls.
4 HPIM5871.jpg
The walled area at the end of the traverse.
6 HPIM5876.jpg
a short rocky bit on the way to the top.
7 HPIM5877.jpg
The summit area with a look out to the West.
Came down at the left end of the crags (looking downhill) hoping to show rolling stone the location of Cluny's Cave...failed to locate on this occasion.....a bit damp to be poking about on wet ledges...on thinking about it the only times that I have located the cave is after the completion of a route in these parts and on a walk in following close to the left edge on the slabs :)
Last edited by gaffr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Re: Creag Dubh Sunday walk.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

This is a fine wee hill, i climbed it myself recently although by a differant route. I started further along at the farm.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland