walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Torridon overnight/wild camp route

Torridon overnight/wild camp route

Postby tenohfive » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:23 pm

A couple of friends and I are planning a trip to Torridon for the first time around September. The walk reports have already proved pretty helpful but I'm hoping someone with some local knowledge can advise me on an idea that's being bandied about.

The basic idea is one night of roughing it somewhere scenic for sunrise and sunset - a couple of us are into our landscape photography. We're considering if (weather conditions permitting) we could do a circuit whereby we'd leave the car somewhere around mid-late afternoon one day and walk until around sunset, stopping somewhere scenic (thinking photo's.) Then wild camp overnight before continuing on in a circuit in the morning getting back to the car late morning-lunchtime.

We've not been to the area before so I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how practical it sounds and any suggested routes?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Re: Torridon overnight/wild camp route

Postby tenohfive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:43 pm

Bump...anyone got any thoughts?
tenohfive

Postby KeithS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:52 pm

It is quite possible to walk round the back of Liathach, there is a good path. It would also be possible to walk round the back of Beinn Eighe. I have done that, it is not well pathed but well worth doing as the views are stunning.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:02 pm

You could do this: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinneighe.shtml with a camp near the outflow from Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair (It might be better to do it in reverse, though).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby tenohfive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:46 pm

jmarkb wrote:You could do this: http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinneighe.shtml with a camp near the outflow from Loch Coire Mhic Fhearchair (It might be better to do it in reverse, though).

I was just reading walk reports for Benn Eighe and thought that might be an option. Would that be around the area of the photo linked below?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chimpaction/6208906404/

I thought about Liathach but wondered if it might be a bit exposed? We've planning on bivvying if possible.
tenohfive

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:18 pm

tenohfive wrote: Would that be around the area of the photo linked below?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chimpaction/6208906404/

Yes, that's it. There are also good views northwestwards to Baosbheinn and Beinn an Eoin.

tenohfive wrote:I thought about Liathach but wondered if it might be a bit exposed? We've planning on bivvying if possible.

The Mullach an Rathain end of the ridge has some flatter, grassier spots, though you would need to carry water, I expect. If you want to traverse the ridge, that depends on how comfortable you are on exposed scrambling with a relatively heavy pack.

Another option might be Beinn a' Chearcaill: flat summit and excellent 360 degree views: http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NG9363
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby tenohfive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Beinn a' Chearcaill does look impressive, and some of the photo's across to Coire Mhic Fhearchair look impressive.

Liathach with extra water sounds like it might be overstretching our abilities.

I'm still tempted towards Beinn Eighe at the moment, but a quick question: if we were to do the reverse route (as suggested) and camp by Coire Mhic Fhearchair would we get much of a view of the sunset? Not a game changer but I'm hoping I'll be able to put my Canon 10-22mm/Tokina 11-16mm (depending on what I end up with) to good use.
tenohfive

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm

tenohfive wrote:if we were to do the reverse route (as suggested) and camp by Coire Mhic Fhearchair would we get much of a view of the sunset?

Not in September: the sun will set more or less due west, and will be behind Beinn Dearg.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby Gythral » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:42 pm

http://photoephemeris.com/ this app might help with planning photoshoots
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tenohfive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:59 pm

jmarkb wrote:
tenohfive wrote:if we were to do the reverse route (as suggested) and camp by Coire Mhic Fhearchair would we get much of a view of the sunset?

Not in September: the sun will set more or less due west, and will be behind Beinn Dearg.

Gythral wrote:http://photoephemeris.com/ this app might help with planning photoshoots

Thanks both - very handy to know some of the pro's and con's of each option.
tenohfive

Postby tenohfive » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Quick question: roughly how long would it take a lightly encumbered person to do from Ruad-stac Mor to Coire Mhic Fhearchair? I'm just wondering if I could run ahead whilst others set up camp, grab a few snaps then quick step back down before it get's too dark to find my way safely back down.
tenohfive

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:49 pm

tenohfive wrote:Quick question: roughly how long would it take a lightly encumbered person to do from Ruad-stac Mor to Coire Mhic Fhearchair? I'm just wondering if I could run ahead whilst others set up camp, grab a few snaps then quick step back down before it get's too dark to find my way safely back down.

Maybe 45 mins up, 30 mins down, though the terrain would not be easy in poor light! It is possible to take a more direct route up the grassiest looking line some distance left of the col connecting Ruad-stac Mor to the main ridge.

Another option might be to bivvy on Coinneach Mor: there's plenty of flat grassy ground up there.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Postby tenohfive » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:15 pm

jmarkb wrote:Maybe 45 mins up, 30 mins down, though the terrain would not be easy in poor light! It is possible to take a more direct route up the grassiest looking line some distance left of the col connecting Ruad-stac Mor to the main ridge.

Another option might be to bivvy on Coinneach Mor: there's plenty of flat grassy ground up there.

Coinneach Mor looks pretty promising but would it be too exposed? Struggling to find much info on that front.

Whatever happens I'm looking at Beinn Eighe - the more I read and see the more appealing it looks.
tenohfive

Postby Kevin29035 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:44 pm

tenohfive wrote:
jmarkb wrote:Maybe 45 mins up, 30 mins down, though the terrain would not be easy in poor light! It is possible to take a more direct route up the grassiest looking line some distance left of the col connecting Ruad-stac Mor to the main ridge.

Coinneach Mor looks pretty promising but would it be too exposed? Struggling to find much info on that front.

Whatever happens I'm looking at Beinn Eighe - the more I read and see the more appealing it looks.

Coinneach Mhor is a nice place, grassy and soft, (long as you don't roll off the cliffs ;) ) so probably the most comfortable high bivvy site on Beinn Eighe. Whether it's too exposed is completely up to the weather, so don't plan for these things just let them happen as it goes. (I bivved near the summit of A' Mhaighdean in March just passed and it was completely calm and cool! Miracles happen...)
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Postby tenohfive » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:18 pm

Kevin29035 wrote:Coinneach Mhor is a nice place, grassy and soft, (long as you don't roll off the cliffs ;) ) so probably the most comfortable high bivvy site on Beinn Eighe. Whether it's too exposed is completely up to the weather, so don't plan for these things just let them happen as it goes. (I bivved near the summit of A' Mhaighdean in March just passed and it was completely calm and cool! Miracles happen...)

That does sound appealing - I don't think any of us can stretch to Thermarests or anything similarly priced, so a soft place to kip does sound preferable.

When I say exposed, I suppose I was being a bit vague. Is there much in the way of boulders or terrain features that will give a bit of a bit more of a wind break than a tarp will, or is it more flat?

I think you're right though, playing it by ear on the day is probably the best bet.
tenohfive

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion