walkhighlands

This board is for meeting up, whether it means arranging group walking trips, or just looking for a partner for your next walk or sharing a lift. There is also a club directory.
Warning Feel free to use this board to arrange to meet up with other walkers, either individually or for a particular walk, or for a larger get together over a weekend. The usual precautions are advised when arranging to meet individuals you have not previously met.

Please note that meetups are NOT arranged by Walkhighlands and everyone who arranges to meet for a walk using this board is responsible for their own safety. Please ensure you do not attempt a walk beyond your own abilities.

Any budget walking/climbing holidays out there?????

Any budget walking/climbing holidays out there?????

Postby GillC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:05 pm

Hi,,having spent a bit of time researching walking holidays in Scotland,,I hark back to the warcry "Im not a tourist, I LIVE HERE!" :shock:

Whats with charging £1800 for 5 days walking in Skye etc? This is just elitism . Im looking for a walking holiday,,happy to camp, bunkhouse, dig in with cooking etc,,,just not willing to pay the equivalent of a family of 4 in Disneyworld for the pleasure!

Bit wary of venturing into the unknown on my tod, anyone else experienced this,,? found a solution?,

Gill
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Any budget walking/climbing holidays out there?????

Postby Tomsie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:00 pm

Take it thats with a guide too, whats included in that price
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:08 pm

thats transport (from Edinburgh only!) 5 nights bed and breaky, think there are 3 arranged dinners but you have to supply /buy your lunches,,guide available but its not even skilled climbing,,just general walks.

Having planned my WHW walk at less than half the price any of the organisations were charging (Same accomodation and carriers used) I know it can be done,,just wary of heading out on my own. Surely there must be likeminded folk.. (heck,,for another £700 I could get 14 nights camping /walking in the Rockies, all meals included)

Im mulling over a Business plan,,,there HAS to be a gap in the local market here :lol:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Are you just walking or climbing the munros?

I climbed the 11 munros in skye last year in 3 days and went through the Steve Fallon site and hired the guide Bruce Poll who was fantastic. I was charged £270 for the 3 days

I booked my own accomodation and stayed in the Glen Brittle Youth Hostel which was about £17 a night. Theres also the camp site at glen brittle.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Tomsie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:17 pm

Theres a gap in every market.

Are they supplying the transport from Edinburgh, better off following something like Mountain thyme did
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby StevieM » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi Gill
Myself and Shaun(another WH member) are walking the Cape Wrath Trail starting next Thursday. Some 200 miles from Fort Bill to CW. Taking anything between 10-14 days(weather depending). Plan on a mixture of camping/bothies/YHs. Not yet thought about how much money to take but think the transport home from the Cape will be the biggest outlay. Alcohol will probably incure a healthy bill as well (well,we are on holiday after all). All in all, I think a couple of hundred quid will be more than enough(wifes recommendation) Not bad for a fortnight in the rain. :lol: :thumbup: :lol:
StevieM
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:10   

Postby GillC » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

That sounds fab StevieM. too short notice for me but worth looking at the route myself. Long haul to hook up with people you dont know,,might be murder on the moors lol Might pencil it in for a solo trip later in the year,,certainly a challenge.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Postby Mountainlove » Tue May 01, 2012 12:40 pm

There is also the Sutherland Trail...http://www.cameronmcneish.co.uk/2008/08/the-sutherland-trail/
Bothys and wild camping...and it should take about a week. I bought the magazine in which C McNeish talks about it with route and map...thats maybe something to think about it if you dont want to spend a lot of money.
If you do it solo it should not cost that much!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby GariochTom » Mon May 21, 2012 8:11 pm

I realise that I'm very late in replying, but the SYHA run some guided walking holidays which look good - I'm tempted to do the Skye or Torridon trip at some point...

http://www.syha.org.uk/holiday-ideas/inspiration-activity-holidays.aspx
GariochTom
Hill Bagger

Munros:148   Corbetts:34
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby Traveller1 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:58 am

Hi there Gill

I feel your pain!! I walk mainly with my club (HF Edinburgh), but also with other Ramblers groups who have their own club weekends/holidays. I can also recommend Steve Fallon, who's a mountain guide - he does trips from day walks to week long adventures which are very reasonably priced. I've done several trips with him & he's excellent: www.stevenfallon.co.uk

You're also welcome to join us for a walk, if you're free: http://hfedinburgh.com

Cheers
Samantha
Traveller1
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Meeting up, arranging trips and walking clubs