walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

WHW Gear

WHW Gear

Postby mhairi_harrity_reid1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey

im doing the whw in May - any recommendations for clothing for a girl who gets way too hot, way too easy?? I normally wear shorts/leggins when walking and a vest top - something tells me this wont suffice! I start off with all my gear on - north face etc but it ends up round my waist and only put it on when i stop for a break.

Tips, hints and suggestions welcome...

Mhairi :D
mhairi_harrity_reid1
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Re: WHW Gear

Postby Gythral » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Seems to me you have the right principle, except that the gear around your waist should be in your rucksack... :D

I'd add either a thin softshell jacket, a microfleece top as another layer if you get cold.
I find in anything but a really heavy downpour that my 'windstopper' softshell keeps me drier than my 'eVent' 'hardshell' jacket!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby mhairi_harrity_reid1 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:13 pm

hey

that is true!

Do you think base layers may be a good option? My North Face is quite light but has served me very well up hills in Skye and here in sometimes crazy weather!

Thanks
mhairi_harrity_reid1
Munro compleatist

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:54 pm

I'd lose the fleece altogether and just go with a long sleeved base layer that has a zip (usefull for venting). Then when you get a little cold, or when you stop, throw on a light softshell. Keep a waterproof shell (top and bottom) in your bag incase it rains heavy. If your camping, then the NF fleece could do you good at night around camp or when your sleeping.

I tend to go with a long sleeved base layer, then put on my softshell, and if it gets extra windy or cold then I throw on a light wind shirt. 80% of the time this will keep out most elements. If i get too hot then sometimes all thats needed is the wind shirt. I also carry a light belay jacket for when I'm stopped but its not an essential !

The reason most people remain drier in a softshell than they would in their hardshell is that it breathes a lot more so you dont end up wet with your own sweat that the hardshell otherwise traps in.

Hope this helps :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby kylebikerun » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:24 am

The best purchase I ever made was my haglofs gilet. Its light and packs away to nothing into its own pocket. Throw it over a base layer when walking and it keeps the wind off the body with plenty of ventilation to stop overheating. Throw it over a fleece when its a wee bit colder if needed. I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner and its the first thing I pack when going walking. Also doing the WHW this May and I'll probably wear it every day (stinky), wouldn't be without one now.
kylebikerun

Munros:34   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:13   Islands:8

Postby Scotsman2012 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I'll second the wearing of a gilet. :thumbup:

Only really a problem if it's wet but it would be enough with a base layer underneath to keep you warm on an overcast day.

But I suppose it all depends on the weather - something you can't guarantee in this country! :D
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Postby mhairi_harrity_reid1 » Tue May 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Hey guys

thanks very much -base layer at bodywarmer(to us laymen!) seen a nice NF one on offer - that will do nicely!

Ohhh can't wait - not long now -roll on 20th may!
:D
mhairi_harrity_reid1
Munro compleatist

Postby neil_mcgeoch » Tue May 01, 2012 12:48 pm

I'd recommend trying to put your waterproof over the gilet if it rains. Works for me - Keeps me warm and dry.
neil_mcgeoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby mhairi_harrity_reid1 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks neil
im going shopping for gear next week - haha can't help thinking ill look like the hunchback of notre-dame with the "gillet" under the jacket lol :D
mhairi_harrity_reid1
Munro compleatist

Postby Scotsman2012 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 pm

Don't buy one of the North Face bodywarmers that look like a puffa jacket without arms! :D

I've got a Craghoppers one myself so something like this should be fine for you - http://www.craghoppers.com/buy/peralta-gilet-255181
Scotsman2012
Mountaineer

Munros:28   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:13

Postby mhairi_harrity_reid1 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:10 pm

Scotsman2012 wrote:Don't buy one of the North Face bodywarmers that look like a puffa jacket without arms! :D

I've got a Craghoppers one myself so something like this should be fine for you - http://www.craghoppers.com/buy/peralta-gilet-255181

but i wanted to look like the abominable snowman...boo you ruining my fun lol

Thanks
mhairi_harrity_reid1
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk