walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

Postby Fcfraser » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Date walked: 29/04/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 28.96 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

P1030592 - Copy.JPG
P1030581 - Copy.JPG
What a fantastic day on the hill! Parked up at Callater, after rummaging for change for the meter, discovered it was broken .....at least we tried to pay!

Set off with three exuberant dogs, keen for their day out, at 9.15. Was very surprised to find only two other cars in the car park.

Within the hour we arrived at the Callater Bothy, banana stop! Met a couple of guys who had camped out at the bothy over the weekend.

We were surprised at the amount of snow out on the hill, but whilst it had been raining all week in rural Aberdeenshire, clearly it had snowed every day out on the hills!
P1030572 - Copy.JPG

We began to climb up to Tolmount, which was reasonably straightforward, although the path wasn't anywhere to be seen due to the snow coverage, one dog decided to disappear for a short while, Hares were a plenty! Don't think I have ever seen so many hares out on the hills, all in their spring coats, nature got the timing wrong, as they were very visible and a real tease to the dogs, who by this time had been reined in!
P1030572 - Copy.JPG

Got to the top at 13.08, settled down for lunch, and we're soon joined by Henry Iddon (photographer) and his mate, had interesting chat with the guys, and accompanied them back down to the burn before we began our ascent onto Tom Bhuide. Left our companions there as Henry wanted to record the noise from the burn to accompany the photos he was taking.

Hard walking by now as every other step we seemed to sink in, thigh high in snow! Frustrating to say the least! "walking like a Fairy" just wasn't working this week!
P1030579 - Copy.JPG

The views were spectacular to say the least, almost perfect. Blue blue skies, dazzled by white sparkling snow, only dirtied by Labradors rolling in it, rubbing off the peaty waters they had clinging to their fur.

Quick check of the map, and we decided to descend by the shoulders of Carn a Tuirc, no need to climb as bagged it several times.

However, we hadn't bargained on just how hard the descent would be, the walking was very slow, due to that "sinking feeling" every few steps, have to say I was more than a bit fed up of it by the time we left the snow line! Back aching with the constant jolting!

Had a lovely stop, at 4pm with the warm sunshine on our faces, almost surreal with the white stuff at our feet! Views over Ben Avon were second to none!
P1030602.JPG

Finally found the Landrover track and out of the snow, picked up a bit so speed at last! Terra Firma!

Our peace was broken by the sound of the Search and Rescue helicopter hovering through the glen and our thoughts turned to some poor soul having come a cropper somewhere on the mountain, confirmed by a Braemar Mountain Rescue Landrover passing us by, and then a wonderful tracked ambulance, which certainly made the earth move! We watched a few minutes later as the helicopter landed beside the vehicles, and we were left to wonder, was it an exercise? Or had somebody indeed had an unfortunate accident!

Two weary, very happy ladies arrived back at their cars, two chocolate Labradors, one (sooky) golden retriever, very tired loped into the rear of the car, and curled up on top of each other! .....yeah that was the dogs who curled up, not us girlies!

Drove in auto-pilot to the Inver Hotel where a very welcome pint and venison burger was consumed!

Was hoping to post photos, but think I have to do that via laptop!

My nose now resembles Coco the Clown ....SPF next time! :D
Attachments
P1030607.JPG
Coire Kander
P1030594.JPG
P1030568.JPG
Last edited by Fcfraser on Tue May 01, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   Corbetts:5

Re: Tolmount/Tom Buidhe

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:00 pm

waiting for the photos. :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby angry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:24 pm

I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but given this recent report:

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/highlands-islands/304314-capercaillie-killed-by-dog-let-off-leash/

I was hoping that dog owners would behave more responsibly, but alas, nothing changes. You have what you call three "exuberant dogs", it is lambing season, ground nesting birds are brooding (and the area around Callater has got lots of ground nesting species) and yet you leave your dogs wander around the hills completely free! It just beggars belief. Do you realise how irresponsible this is? You even say that one of your dogs "disappeared for a while"! Have you got any idea how many birds he could have killed in the meantime? Labradors have got it in their genes to kill birds. That's what they were bred for. I'm sure you'll say your dogs are little angels and would never harm a fly. How on earth do you know that? I bet the owner of the dog who killed the capercaille are still patting themselves on the back thinking what a sweet dog they have. Luckily you say that you finally 'reined them in'. I mean, at this time of the year the hares are already stressed that they've barely emerged from the harshness of winter, they're in trouble because the tops are still white, the lower slopes are brown and they're molting, they are at risk from predators from the air, they've got to start breeding, and the last thing they need is to be worried by your labradors. But hey, we shan't stop you having fun watching your dogs getting all exuberant, eh?
Really, humanity makes me despair.
angry

Postby Fcfraser » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:46 pm

Fair comment "Mr Angry" .....yes one dog chased a hare, ( not mine.... So I can't be chastised for that) my dog doesn't chase birds, nor would I allow it. He wanders along the paths, comes when called.

Perhaps I should have clarified that my friends dog.... Etc. I can assure you that I am not an irresponsible dog owner. I think it was utterly horrific the recent incident with the capercaillie of which I read in the local press.

Anyway...... I often walk alone, long days on the hill with my "exuberant Labrador" ......Labradors are born that way, it was merely an expression, to describe a fun dog! A well trained dog can still be exuberant, and a pleasure!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby Bod » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Well said Fcfraser, (very valid issues raised by 'angry', but unfairly directed accusations made against you!)

Let's all carry on promoting responsible access. I for one understand well the diversity of our landscape, the pressures placed upon it and will always seek to learn more :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Fcfraser » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:23 pm

Thanks for words of support "Bod" ..... First Blog I've ever written on here! Clearly I'll have to be careful how I word things in future!
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 01, 2012 8:04 pm

No need to apologise Fcfraser! "Angry" only registered on this site yesterday and was clearly spoiling for a fight straight away! :shock: Makes me think "Angry" might be the t*^"er I had the misfortune to bump into on Sunday down Braco/Comrie way. Some of the comments he was coming out with - that's what "beggars belief"! "You people!", "My hills!" That sort of c*"p. Made me want to puke! And we didn't even have the dogs with us! As a responsible dog owner (and one who can vouch for Bod's credentials in that regard too), I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Looking forward to the photos too - show me what I've got to look forward to on the 12th of this month when I'm up that way for an overnighter with Lucy, my chocolate Lab. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 01, 2012 8:15 pm

We are thinking of doing the Creag nan Gabhar circuit (the hills to the south of Loch Callater) later this week. What are conditions like there at the moment?
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Fcfraser » Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

My "faith" has been restored! After Mr Angry's rant yesterday, was wondering if I would blog on a hill report again, but after the support shown on here..... I WILL!

In reply to RicKamila... I think you may be just about the snow line, therefore won't be so tough going as what we found, but the snow we were in was very soft and deep..... Hard work!

Photos..... I will attempt to load! But being a novice..... Don't hold your breathe!

Especially choccy labs! ;-)
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Fcfraser wrote:
In reply to RicKamila... I think you may be just about the snow line, therefore won't be so tough going as what we found, but the snow we were in was very soft and deep..... Hard work!

Hmmm, might wait til snow clears then.

As for walk reports, don't let one persons comments get to you and keep posting. Looking forward to more!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:16   

Postby mrssanta » Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Superb pictures I especially like the last one but they are all crackers!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Thu May 03, 2012 7:23 am

Great to see the photos too. How white is that snow to the north, amazing! Looking forward to your next report :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby BlackPanther » Thu May 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Lovely pictures and cute dogs :D :D I did the neighbouring Whitemounth Munros in March, during the warm spell and Tolmount was completely snowless then. From your photos I guess it is the big comeback of winter there :lol:

And please, don't get discouraged by one "angry" person! We are not all like that here on WH :D When I registered and started posting first, I was worried my reports may not be good enough... I was only met with words of support and a lot of positive replies. I think you were just unlucky to attract an opinion from somebody aggressive who wanted to spoil your day... Forget about him...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Fcfraser » Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey BP thanks for the support! My faith has certainly been restored! :D
Fcfraser
Munro compleatist

Postby monarchming » Thu May 10, 2012 12:00 pm

Hey FC and glad to see that "angry" person hasn't put you off submitting your reports. Enjoy the mountains with your dog and keep marching! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland