walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Wicking base layers wick heat!?

Wicking base layers wick heat!?

Postby FourLeggedPal » Tue May 01, 2012 10:44 pm

I find thermal base layers made in wicking material to be fantastic for both running and hiking in warm weather. However, when I stop I get chilled to the bone very quickly - different from a normal kind of cold. It's as if the wicking fabric is also wicking heat away from my body? It's not just me - hubby has similar problem.

We do a lot of photography during runs and hikes and are often standing still for a couple of hours at a time after very heavy (and sweaty) exertion. We get extremely cold....would almost be better without the base layer.

Is it because we're cheapskates and haven't paid enough for our kit? Can anyone recommend good clothing that would work well for us in this kind of situation? Needs to be lightweight, and needs to keep you warm even when it's sweaty and you've stopped moving.
FourLeggedPal
Munro compleatist

Re: Wicking base layers wick heat!?

Postby Gythral » Wed May 02, 2012 9:33 am

Is your mid/outer layer wetting out on the inside?
So that once you stop, the water on the inside of the mid layer is being warmed by the vapour leaving your baselayer and hence cooling you...

I've been known to take my outer layer off for a few minutes after stopping, and if I've been working really hard to turn it inside out, to get some of the sweat off it...

I've found this problem with baselayers varing from the 'summer' weight polyester 'mock-eyelet' types that just about everyone does, coolmax to a buffalo SP6

For me there are 2 solutions, dont stop or carry a spare layer (Down or pertex)
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Brian Dullea » Sat May 05, 2012 10:25 am

Hello 4leg.
I think you may be asking the impossible if you are running but Paramo do reversible base layers that have different warmth and wicking properties: switching round before settling down for summit sandwiches usually works. They also have reversible fleece that is amazing in its behaviour. I have often used it on walks and climbs, in cold conditions next to the skin, to the point that it seems sodden on one side (helping you to stay cool on the way up) but when reversed still provides excellent warmth. Unfortunately the older type of material, which was thicker, worked even better than the newer thinner versions. I do not have a problem reversing the shirt but my better half does not like doing this due to the temporary exposure.
The downside of course is they are not cheap.
Good luck.
Brian Dullea
Stravaiging

Postby edumad » Mon May 07, 2012 1:18 pm

All systems of thermal isolation work by creating a layer of low heat transfer coefficient. For clothing this is generally trapped air.

Different fabrics can have different pores and thickness and prevent heat loss to different extents.
One thing is certain, heat passes more quickly through water than through air.
If you wet your skin, you lose heat more quickly, if you wet you closes you then the trapped air is in part or in whole replaced by water (rain or sweat) and heat passes more easily through the layer.

If you are in a cold environment, then your base layer, even if especially good at wicking will take longer to lose all the moist in it than it will take you to start to feel cold. Ideally you'd replace the moist layer with dry ones (and if its windy, a wind proof), you'll keep warm. Otherwise you need to layer up to compensate for the lack of isolation your now wet clothes provide. Removing the wet base-layer might be a good idea provide your outer layer provides sufficient isolation. A thin wind proof might do wonders to keep out the cold air, but wherever it touches the skin heat is loss easily.

I usually take my DSLR with me on most hikes, so the wait of a fleece is not a problem. But I don't always change, I make sure as soon as I stop for a long period of time I layer up. I don't wait until I start to get cold. This way you make the excess heat you are generating work towards turning that trapped moisture into steam or at least warm it up, so that cold sets in later.
edumad

Postby tenohfive » Mon May 07, 2012 1:53 pm

Would a Merino base layer do the job? I'm still very new to this but I was under the impression that one of the biggest benefits of Merino is that it retains heat whilst wet?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby FourLeggedPal » Mon May 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Thanks all - this is a big help and gives us a few more things to try.

tenohfive, I've just Googled Merino and it sounds as if it might be the perfect solution for me. Paul's a bit allergic to wool so might not suit him but some other options suggested here for him.

If we can just find the right clothing for what we want to do it'd open up so many more possibilities for us. Ideally we'd like to combine running, walking and just standing about without having to carry loads of kit. Holding out a lot of hope for the Merino tho'!
FourLeggedPal
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk