walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon - Oscar bags his first Munros

Glen Lyon - Oscar bags his first Munros

Postby stu1mcf » Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 28/04/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a long winter, and being a delicate soul without the equipment or experience to tackle a Munro during the winter months, my hillwalking exploits for the year had so far been limited to a few quick blasts round my local range, the Pentlands. My new boots - a pair of German Army issue mountaineering boots - had been performing well, but were in need of a proper run-out. So I made up my mind on the Friday that it was time to break my duck for the year, and go bag some Munros. Glen Lyon sounded just the ticket.

The weather looked ideal, a clear day with no rain forecast. Perfect. I called my usual walking buddies to see if they were up for it, but unfortunately neither could make it, one being injured and the other working. Never mind, I thought, I was determined to hit the hills regardless. The dog - a chocolate lab named Oscar - needed a good walk, so he could come.

So, Saturday morning came and we set off around 8 o'clock in brilliant sunshine. It really was a beautiful morning, and as we crossed the Forth I had a great view of the Ochils towering to the North-West. I was surprised and slightly concerned to see that they were distinctly snowy at the peaks - if the Ochils had snow, what was it going to be like at Munro level?? I briefly considered abandoning the trip and turning back, but decided to carry on regardless, thinking that we could always turn back if the walking became too tough. This turned out to be an inspired piece of thinking :D

We arrived to a very busy car park at Invervar at 10am, and set off through the gates and into the forest.

DSC00600.JPG
Heading up through the forest

After a short time the path left the forest and started to climb alongside the Invervar Burn, then across the burn and towards Carn Gorm. The conditions were great, if a bit wet and boggy in places, and myself and the faithful hound set off with a real sense of purpose, inspired by the sight of the mountain ahead. The ascent of Carn Gorm didn't go without a hitch, though - my heavy new boots were proving very harsh on the heels, and being a bit out of practice the going was pretty tough. These concerns soon dissolved though, as the path climbed to give some cracking views back down into the glen and across to the Lawers range.

DSC00611.JPG
Looking across towards Ben Lawers

DSC00614.JPG
Oscar takes in the scenery

After a couple of hours we could see the summit of Carn Gorm, but we had reached the snowline so I had to decide whether or not to continue and do the full round of four, or to turn around and head back down into the glen. Luckily, the snow turned out to be firm without being slippy, and was easy enough to walk on. We marched on up to the summit, and stopped to get some photos and a friendly chat with some other walkers. The views were absolutely magnificent!!

Oscar bags his first Munro.jpg
Oscar bags his first Munro

DSC00626.JPG
At the summit of Carn Gorm

Once up on the plateau, the walking was fairly straightforward. With no major climbs in front of us, we happily sauntered round, enjoying the sunshine and the peaceful silence. The panorama on view was absolutely terrific, with Ben Nevis clearly visible to the North-West, some great vies of Schiehallion, and the very snowy-looking Cairngorms Massif to the North-East.

DSC00628.JPG
Nevis range

DSC00631.JPG
At the summit of Meall Garbh, looking towards Schiehallion and the Cairgorms visible in the distance.

After stopping at the summits of Carn Mairg and Creag Mhor for a well deserved lunch and some rest, we plodded on, tired, but exhilarated, down the path back into Glen Lyon, stopping for a final few snaps along the way.

DSC00655.JPG
Ben Lawers

DSC00656.JPG
Oscar overcomes his tiredness to do his Elvis impression

DSC00657.JPG
Back down into Glen Lyon

By this point my feet were really aching, and I think I will have to invest in some lighter boots for the summer. All in all, though, it was a superb day's walking, made even better by the fantastic conditions and the breathtaking views of snow-capped mountains. The Scottish Highlands eh?!?! Can't wait until next time!
stu1mcf
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Glen Lyon - Oscar bags his first Munros

Postby kev_russ » Sun May 06, 2012 2:23 pm

Nice pics stu :thumbup: Been meaning to do these for a while. I'll get there eventually. Well done tae Oscar
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Glen Lyon - Oscar bags his first Munros

Postby stu1mcf » Mon May 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks Kev!
stu1mcf
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland