walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A cow of a walk! - The Mamores

A cow of a walk! - The Mamores

Postby highland rambler » Sat May 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 05/04/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1145m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Two days after our snowy venture into Glencoe we were in Fort William. With the snow melting away we decided that Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean would be our conquest. We arrived in Glen Nevis in somewhat cloudy conditions and with waterproofs at the ready we set off up the track from Polldubh.

P1020207.JPG
Into the Corrie towards Stob Ban

We soon gained height and left the relatively dry ground behind for the boggier and icier ground higher up the hill. The route followed the burn high into the Corrie, which looked quite stunning, waking from it’s frozen slumber:

P1020221.JPG
Frozen Burn

P1020223.JPG
Frozen Burn

P1020225.JPG
Frozen Burn

P1020229.JPG
Frozen Burn

P1020232.JPG
Frozen Burn

There were fantastic views back down into Glen Nevis:

P1020208.JPG
Glen Nevis

P1020211.JPG
Glen Nevis

The higher we climbed the more clag we encountered and were soon mooching around with nothing to look at but the route immediately in front of us.

P1020226.JPG
Watching the hanging ice crash from Stob Ban's east rock face

P1020230.JPG
pausing for thought in the Clag

With dense cloud reducing visibility to no more than 100 feet or so it was impossible to know how far from the summit we were, so we kept plodding onward and upward hoping that the clag would lift to reward us with the stunning views we had been hoping for:

P1020233.JPG
Towards Stob Ban

Upon reaching the first Munro summit of the day, Stob Ban the visibility was very poor, so much so that it was impossible to see the route from there to Mullach. So out came the trusted map and compass to point us in the right direction.

P1020236.JPG
Summit cairn - Stob Ban

P1020242.JPG
looking back to Stob Ban from the Mullach ridge

As we trudged along the route towards Mullach, all of a sudden the Clag lifted and we got a view of what we had been missing :D , along the ridge towards Mullach, down into the Corrie towards Glen Nevis, and back along our route towards Stob Ban. Alas, it was only a temporary reprieve, lasting just a few minutes, allowing a quick photo opportunity or two before plunging us back into the land of zero views :( :

P1020244.JPG
The clag finally clears from the Stob Ban - Mullach ridge

P1020245.JPG
Into the Corrie towards Glen Nevis

P1020247.JPG

P1020248.JPG
Back towards Stob Ban

The ridge was completely covered by snow as we trudged through the drifts towards the second Munro, Mullach. By the time we reached the summit the clag was all around, so we paused momentarily for the summit photo and to check the descent route, heading for the forest just west of Polldubh.

P1020253.JPG
Route finding, summit cairn - Mullach nan Coirean

The route down was snow and ice covered and a little lower down following the line of the deer fence, very boggy. This caused problems for the pair of us, as we slipped our way to the bottom in fair regularity. Claire proved to be the worst victim slipping in the middle of a large bog, introducing her backside to the sodden Peat. We both had a laugh as I hauled her to her feet and she blessed her Goretex trousers! :lol:

P1020254.JPG
Snowy & icy descent from Mullach

We arrived back at the car, which we had cunningly left at the forest track instead of further east at Polldubh and changed into some warm, dry clothes before leaving for home – Ballachulish.

A great walk, but we were disappointed not to catch the views, and that coupled with the boggy descent caused Claire to dub it ‘a cow of a walk!’ in a phone text to the in-laws, and so it has become known to us!

Looking forward to climbing it again, next time in better conditions! :lol:
highland rambler
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   
Fionas:1   

Re: A cow of a walk! - The Mamores

Postby quoman » Sat May 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Hardluck with the weather highland rambler.... but you get a good laugh when someone slips in the muck :D and its no you.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby cha1888 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:05 pm

[Done Sgurr á Mhain
DSCF3670.JPG
Sgurr á Mhaim
,Stob Ban
DSCF3671.JPG
Stob Ban
and Mullach nan Coirean
DSCF3697.JPG
Mullach nan Coirean
yesterday 5/5/12 amazing views.
cha1888
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:2

Postby highland rambler » Sun May 06, 2012 10:27 pm

Many thanks for the photos, just inspires me more to get up there again - Stob Ban looks amazing!
highland rambler
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   
Fionas:1   

Postby Meatball » Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 am

Wow, I was there on Friday...no snow, magic views and the streams running freely. The difference a day makes!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Grimbo » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Just shows you how changeable conditions can be. I was up there on Thursday, I would say it was the best-ever day I've ever had on the hills. It was blisteringly hot, I sunbathed on the top of Stob Ban, my face and hands got burned. As I got to the top of the Mullach, there were a couple of hang gliders circling. The views were stupendous. Kept thinking that we're so lucky to have the best scenery in the world, right on our doorstep.
Grimbo
Mountain Walker

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Good effort in those conditions. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland