walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

High Cup via the Nick

High Cup via the Nick

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri May 11, 2012 11:50 pm

Date walked: 09/05/2012

Time taken: 5

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 510m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We waved Grace off on Bank Holiday Monday morning for a week outward bounding in the Lakes leaving us feeling a bit lost. :( The point of the week is to help a child's independence but quite frankly it's the parents that are in greater need of that half the time. :oops: Monday passed frustratingly with far better weather than forecast, given we'd planned nothing expecting a deluge. So it was a Bank Holiday spent checking the Twitter feed Grace's teacher had set up to keep everybody informed of goings on. To help up with the separation from Grace (and jealously about the exciting adventures she was getting up to) we were in need of some hill walking therapy. Fortunately I'd convinced Nicola to take Wednesday off so we could go for a walk so it was a relief that the forecast was good giving us loads of options. :D In reality however there was only one option. Having read Pgrizz's brilliant report on a spectacular day visiting High Cup Nick our mind was already made up.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked at Dufton and headed off up the Pennine way, a broad track at this point, towards High Cup. One thing you don't realize while zooming along the A66 on your way to the Lakes is just how charming the foothills of this range are. It's an intricate undulating landscape highlighted by the attractive mini mountain of Dufton Pike. I would definitely say I'll have to shoehorn it into a future expedition at some time. It's a fairly gentle climb as the country gets increasingly wilder as you ascend. It was a wonderfully clear day with views across the Vale of Eden to the Lakes giving far more reason to stop and admire than was strictly necessary.

IMG_9112.JPG
Looking over the Vale of Eden to the Lakes

IMG_9118.JPG
Dufton Pike and the Pennine Way

IMG_9114.JPG
Sturthwaite Nook

IMG_9121.JPG
Spectacular Clouds over Peeping Hill

IMG_9122.JPG
Limekiln

IMG_9126.JPG
Murton Pike

Only issue faced on this otherwise blissful ascent was the minor black eye I received from the dog. Hughie was hooked onto the chest strap of my backpack when I noticed the strap on my gator coming lose. I naturally bent down to sort it out at the precise time he put on a random burst of speed slamming the hard plastic handle of the lead into my right eye. After a few phrases along the lines of "Oh dear Hughie you appear to have caused me some discomfort you little scamp!" and much eye watering my vision had just about returned to normal for the first sight of the Southern rim of High Cup.

IMG_9129.JPG
Early view of High Cup Nick

The views just got better as we made our way along the Northern edge and spied our first fellow walker of the day having Lunch while taking in the views at High Cup Head.

IMG_9134.JPG
Strands Beck

IMG_9136.JPG
View from the Southern edge

IMG_9138.JPG
Nichol's Chair

IMG_9139.JPG
Our bouldery descent route.

IMG_9149.JPG
Northern edge

High Cup Nick.JPG
High Cup Panorama

Following lunch and a chat with the chap we'd spotted earlier, who judging from the size of his pack and accent was an antipodean Pennine Wayster, we decided to go ahead and descend via the nick down to High Cup Gill. As we were preparing ourselves for the boulder hopping we met our second walker of the day, a local woman who didn't think much of our plans and in many years of walking the area hadn't descended from here. We assured her we'd be careful and set off. Care was needed over the boulders which were thankfully dry and grippy. Not sure I'd fancy it in the wet however. :-? Hughie, being a cowardly little pup, had serious misgivings about a deep gap between two boulders and met it with a whining refusal. Unfortunately he took me turning around to help as a sign I'd seen sense and set off back up to the top. :roll: Eventually I coaxed him close enough to grab his harness and haul him across. As with any difficulty the Boulder field appeared far larger when your in the middle of it than it looked from above and we were relieved when we finally escaped to the steep grassy slopes on the right following much careful crouched progress. It's been a long time since I was this stiff following a walk but the front of my thighs are still suffering. :cry:

IMG_9154.JPG
High Cup's Nick, our way down

IMG_9169.JPG
Looking up at the Northern edge

We continued our descent through another minor boulder field before stopping for coffee and cake. :D In some ways from here this place reminded me a bit of the Lost Valley in Glen Coe which if anybody has been there will know that it's high praise indeed.

IMG_9171.JPG
High Cup Gill

IMG_9180.JPG
A Last look back

We made our way back across some boggy ground (I'd advise trying to keep to higher up on the slope) to the oddly named Harbour Flatt Farm before walking back to Dufton along the road. If like me previously you've got a visit to High Cup Nick on your to do list then don't put it off. It's an amazing place however you chose to visit.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: High Cup via the Nick

Postby L-Hiking » Sat May 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Another one for me to do..keep em coming JK excellent..Hope the black eye is not to bad :lol:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby MiniRambo » Sat May 12, 2012 9:48 pm

Cracking photos JK. You picked a good day to visit the awe inspiring High Cup Nick. I was born and brought up in Dufton and my family still farm there. I have walked along the edge of High Cup on many occasions and still find it a remarkable place. Glad you enjoyed it too.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun May 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Thanks for the kind words, it was a top day. The eye is fine btw.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby colgregg » Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Great report. I want to do High cup from the South returning via Murton Fell (Hewitt bagging). Nothing beats the approach from the North for that "wow" factor as it suddenly reveals itself but the aproach from Cow Green can be a long slog and as it doesn't make for a good round it's more of a straight there and back.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 14, 2012 11:43 am

colgregg wrote:Great report. I want to do High cup from the South returning via Murton Fell (Hewitt bagging). Nothing beats the approach from the North for that "wow" factor as it suddenly reveals itself but the aproach from Cow Green can be a long slog and as it doesn't make for a good round it's more of a straight there and back.

Going up High Cup Gill would be an option for that route. If the Boulders are wet there is a very steep path with a rock scramble at the top just to the left of the Boulder field. You get a wonderful feeling of seclusion and peace when down in the valley.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Lovely stuff JK, I confess to laughing at the dog lead incident but mostly because of the 'cursing' afterward.

I know how you feel with Grace going away for the week....just wait until it happens for good :( Just had my Son, Daughter in law and grandbaby over here for two weeks and this is the first day without them....fells the same all over again :( Back to the hills tomorrow for me and a nice wee work out :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon May 14, 2012 7:43 pm

ChrisW wrote:Lovely stuff JK, I confess to laughing at the dog lead incident but mostly because of the 'cursing' afterward.

I know how you feel with Grace going away for the week....just wait until it happens for good :( Just had my Son, Daughter in law and grandbaby over here for two weeks and this is the first day without them....fells the same all over again :( Back to the hills tomorrow for me and a nice wee work out :D

Coming from a pit village I can curse with the best of them. :lol:
Grace is happily back now but when she was gone the hills were the best therapy posible.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland