walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Mairg circuit - 1st report and 1st 4-bagger!

Carn Mairg circuit - 1st report and 1st 4-bagger!

Postby Jim McK » Sun May 13, 2012 8:28 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 12/05/2012

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first report and I'm stuck for words as most of this circuit is well covered already.

Couple of tips for the start:

1. If the small car park just before the red phone box is full (as it was when I arrived at 09:45), you can park about 100 metres back down the road in the entrance to a farm's storage field - farm worker told me it was okay to do so.

2. The path starts exactly opposite the red phone box - a few folks have walked up the road to the house instead and it's easy to see how that's done as it seems the more logical path.

I planned to follow the WH clockwise route and the weather at the start was very kind - sun out and quite sharp. First 1.5km on easy path to very bouncy metal bridge:

IMG_0677.JPG

Looking at WH route, I missed the turn in the path which follows the tree line - others also missed it or were just following me! It's not a problem though as you just follow the burn a bit further until path disappears and walk on a diagonal to the left to regain the WH path.

First good view of Carn Gorm

IMG_0681.JPG

I felt a bit tired before the path steepened (always takes me an hour to get second wind!), but strangely felt better on steeper path after stopping for a quick photo from near the top:

IMG_0683.JPG

Got much colder at the top of Carn Gorm with biting wind, so took a few wintry looking pics and quickly headed down:

IMG_0685.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

View back down path from top of Carn Gorm:

IMG_0687.JPG

Very easy path down and over to Meall Garbh missing out An Sgorr. Got the required pic of the modern art cairn and a photo looking back to Carn Gorm before moving on to get a sheltered spot for some lunch:

IMG_0694.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

Met a party of students who were braving it in shorts, although most of them changed to waterproofs at this point.

After quick lunch, it was an easy walk following fence poles to top of Mheall a'Bharr and more modern art!

IMG_0702.JPG

Also got first good view of Carn Mairg:

IMG_0701.JPG

Next part of the walk was pretty flat until you turn right to head along ridge to Carn Mairg. A tip here is to move off the line of fence posts to the right to avoid the boulder field. This was a nice walk through the snow up to the summit tor.Some of the students were still wearing shorts:

IMG_0712.JPG

Headed over to the cairn and took a photo with Schiehallion in the background:

IMG_0714.JPG

Moved past the cairn and enjoyed the scramble down the rocks, before turning right to head for the last munro of the day. Very boggy in parts here and you had to take care to avoid deep bogs - easy today, but wouldn't have fancied it in the clag!

Last cairn is reached very quickly on top of a tor and there is a great view over to Schiehallion.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

On route down, I decided to cut out corner of ridge and headed directly for bottom part of ridge - seemed to work quite well as only added a short ascent to reah WH path near the end of the ridge. My knees didn't like the descent from here after 6 hours of walking, so it was great to get back down to initial path.

Tired, but very happy after 1st 4 bagger!

My timings for 4 munros:

1. Carn Gorm 2 hours
2. Meall Garbh 50 minutes
3. Carn Mairg 1 hour 25 minutes (included stop for lunch)
4. Creag Mhor 55 minutes
5. Descent to car 1 hour 40 minutes
Jim McK
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Islands:15

Re: Carn Mairg circuit - 1st report and 1st 4-bagger!

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun May 13, 2012 9:06 pm

A fine 1st report. I like the last photo of Schiehallion, there's gonna be a party up there on the 26th :D Hope the students got back down ok :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby GillC » Mon May 14, 2012 8:47 am

Well done Jim! You got a smashing day for this lot. I did them last year in howling wind and heavy cloud/mist so didnt get your views, only caught glimpses of surrounding hills when there was a break in the cloud. Still,,a good day out. :D GillC
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby quoman » Mon May 14, 2012 8:57 am

Nice first report Jim they students are awe mad :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jim McK » Mon May 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks all - it was a cracking day. I was quite chuffed that I managed to keep up with and overtake the students!
Jim McK
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Islands:15

Postby monarchming » Mon May 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Well done Jim! Great effort and fine pics! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland