walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Lone Wanderer of Glen Lyon

The Lone Wanderer of Glen Lyon

Postby Shads » Mon May 14, 2012 8:05 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 14/05/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCF0663.JPG
Wrong start!
After a long time of dreaming and pondering over a lone trip into the hills and camping overnight, I decided to go for it! :) I invested in a new waterproof os map (£13 which I thought was quite steep) bought a new compass and packed my rucsac with full winter gear (apart from ice axe and crampons) It felt great to rake out all my camping gear and sift through it to make sure everything was there and functional, then the car got loaded up the night before ready for departure. :)

I left at 7.00am, the sun was shining and the weather was looking promising, as I drove up the A9 I had all my old 1990 rave tunes blairing and I was buzzing with excitement. :D By the time I arrived at Callander I was starving, so I decided to stop at the customary stopping place The main street bakers but couldnt get a parking space so decided to drive on and stop at strathyre at the wee shop and get a munch. Bad Idea stopping at strathyre, 2 microwave heated pies which cost me £1.80 each were well soggy but they filled a hole in ma belly and on I drove.

I found the red phone box at Glen Lyon and eagerly jumped out the car, gear on and off I went, but after about 10mins of walking I couldnt find a metal gate and it just didnt feel right where I was, "whit a muppet! :? I had started walk at wrong phone box! :?

A 15 mins drive later I arrived at the correct start and off I went, through the gates and followed the path alongside the burn with waterfalls and arrived at the metal bridge. Just about a 1/4 a mile in front of me were 4 walkers, I soon caught up with them and I soon made new friends and I felt safer in numbers incase I had got lost.

At the start of the walk up until I reached the 1st summit cairn gorm I had a t shirt on as the sun was shining hot, but then the weather changed, it started to cloud over as a weather front with a cold wind and hail, so on with all my gear and onwards to bag another 3 munros. :)

I found the route easy to follow (same route as walkhighlands) and I really enjoyed the walk, especially the good company I had stumbled across, I do like a bit of company on a walk. :D

After the walk I drove towards Ben Lawers looking for a good camp spot, I decided to park the car in the new Ben Lawers car park and found a nice wee sheltered spot next to the burn, I set up camp by 8.00pm. I sat and cooked up my pasta and pesto with 2 rolls and felt great all on my own, totally chilled out, and then retired for a good night sleep. When I woke in the morning the weather had turned really bad with low clowd, high winds and consistant rain, so off I headed home tired and weather beaten but with a nice smile on my face. :D :D :D
Attachments
121.jpg
Ma wee camp spot at Ben Lawers car park
110.jpg
Final descent looking down on Glen Lyon
100.jpg
dodging boulders and birds nests
059.jpg
2nd munro summit weather turning bad
067.jpg
nice view of schiehallion in distance
074.jpg
my new found friends
Last edited by Shads on Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shads
Hill Bagger

Munros:47   Corbetts:6
Donalds:6
Sub 2000:5   

Re: The Loan Wanderer of Glen Lyon

Postby dooterbang » Mon May 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Well done on your first solo outing, 4 Munros to boot :)

I did 5 for my 1st solo outing and was full of excitemnt and tension, i was buzzing when i finished.

My mate Stevie and i occasionally stick the old rave tunes on when heading up North walking, 88-92 being our time for reflection 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: The Loan Wanderer of Glen Lyon

Postby monarchming » Tue May 15, 2012 11:35 am

Great stuff Shads! Well done on a successful wee trip! Good report and pics! :thumbup:
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland