walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby gman » Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 16/05/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

schiehallion16-MAY-12.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Did this on Wednesday, forecast looked OK and I was working at half 6 so picked something quick. Actually spent more time in the car than on the hill for the first time. There's resurfacing in Killin and a convoy vehicle controlling traffic, will hopefully be finished soon. Got to car park at 9.15, on the way out I noticed there's a pay and display machine charging 2 quid.

There's a good path most of the way up so you can't really go wrong, it was quietish when I left but was getting busy as I descended. Looking back to car park:
schiehallion_16May2012_0002.jpg

Some stones further up. Weather pattern was 10mins of sun then about the same of hail, you could see it moving towards you:
schiehallion_16May2012_0007.jpg

Further up, a bit rockier and the path indistinct in places:
schiehallion_16May2012_0012.jpg

There are a few cairns on the route and good views, not much snow on Lawers range now:
schiehallion_16May2012_0016.jpg

Route so far:
schiehallion_16May2012_0019.jpg

Path up to the summit, larger rocks underfoot so had to balance on them which adds interest to the walk:
schiehallion_16May2012_0022.jpg

Summit cairn reached quickly, I was actually going to bypass it as I thought it must be further on:
schiehallion_16May2012_0030.jpg

Some views from the top:
schiehallion_16May2012_0036.jpg

schiehallion_16May2012_0037.jpg

schiehallion_16May2012_0046.jpg

Then back down to the car, passed loads of walkers in varied attire on the way up - one guy with the Telegraph tucked under his arm & cup of Costa coffee, the next in full alpine gear.

And someone has lost their keys so they've been tied to the car park gate, keyring has a B on it:
schiehallion_16May2012_0057.jpg
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Schiehallion

Postby laconic surf » Thu May 17, 2012 4:59 pm

Was up here on Saturday, gman. Can't believe how much the snow has disappeared in 4 days! Barely a patch up there by the look of it, was shin deep in places at the weekend. Nice views for you :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland