walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Thought I'd better say hi!

Thought I'd better say hi!

Postby Jonay » Tue May 22, 2012 5:55 am

Hi there,

Been a member for a while now but I've only ever lurked on the forums to look at the pretty pictures and get ideas for routes on short notice.

I've only really taken up mountain walking since late summer 2011, and despite having every other week off (7days on/7days off - Wed-Tues) I've only managed to accumulate the stats there >>>>>>>>>>>>

I have always been a walker, through my local cadet unit but I never really paid that much attention or got told where we were walking, so I can't add them to my list!

I'm really keen now though to get as much done and learn from loads of people as I've enrolled myself into the Mountain Leader scheme, I want to give back what everyone has taught me over the years.

I've done the same hills more than once, so please don't judge me on my ambitions vs. my stats., I think I've done Lochnagar 4 times now, in varying conditions from snow to scorching heat, dreich and foggy to crytal clear. I attempted the White Mounth route in winter, but got lost in the cloud and we decended into the wrong valley. Luckily I had a signal on my iPhone and managed to ping my location back home to get a lift!

I much prefer the winter walking to summer, but I'm keen to get my ML(S) so that I can take the cadets out on the hills as there is currently no-one available to help us out when we need it.

Off to the Alps this September too! Booked the Intro to Alpinism course for me and my girlfriend (who comes with me most of the time).

Though I do have a problem, my lower calfs (the narrow bit) get extremely cramped up when I walk in my winter boots on terra firma, I'm thinking it's my arches but I'm not too sure? Or is it the lack of flex in the toe? I guess i really only notice it on rock/path becuase my feet are forces into an upward angle rather than able to be kicked into the snow?

Need to get slightly more fit for the Alps too - any tips other than walking more with full kit?

Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Thought I'd better say hi!

Postby Gythral » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:55 pm

Jonay wrote:...

Need to get slightly more fit for the Alps too - any tips other than walking more with full kit?

Fell Running with full kit...
Cycling with toe clips/step in pedals and pulling up on the pedals as well as pushing.

And for the calf/foot problems look at exercises for Achilles Tendon and Plantar Fascitis, they are aimed at strength, flex, and balance, in the foot and calf, so may help...
(heels http://www.heel-that-pain.com/heel_pain/heel_pain_exercises.php http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Plantar-Fasciitis.htm)
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...