walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lightweight waterproof jackets review

Lightweight waterproof jackets review

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Phil and Helen have both been putting a range of lightweight waterproof jackets on test over the last few months...

Phil Turner wrote:I'm never going to advocate leaving your waterproof jacket at home when heading into the hills, but if you're pretty sure it's going to spend most of the day in your rucksack there's no need for a heavy winter-spec mountain waterproof. Thankfully modern designs and outdoor fabrics have led to some very well-featured lightweight jackets that add little to your packweight but may not have the durability and breathability of heavier fabrics. The breathability of waterproofs is a source of major consternation and pub arguments...

Read Phil's full review here, whilst Helen takes a look at the women's jackets here.

Do you agree with Phil and Helen? Let us know what you think....
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Lightweight waterproof jackets review

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

This review just about sums it up really. Only 4 women's jackets and one of those you wouldn't be seen dead in!!
The manufacturers of outdoor gear really need to wake up to the fact that there a lot of women who want a decent selection of good quality gear, preferably in colours that don't make us look ridiculous.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby harpist » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:58 am

Really enjoying the new Paramo ladies Mirada jacket. Like my winter Paramo but much much lighter, no mesh inside. It's quite a slim fit, but longer than some ladies' jackets, which is good. Windproof too. :clap:
harpist
Munro compleatist

Munros:29   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:203   Islands:24

Postby badgerwalker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm

To agree or disagree one would have to try all the jackets; but it is nice to read an informative review from someone who clearly knows what they are talking about. It might have helped to know more about the conditions they were tested in, and only one review gave the hydrostatic head figure. The problem with waterproofs is you only find out they are not when it's too late.
badgerwalker

Postby SMRussell » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:33 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:This review just about sums it up really. Only 4 women's jackets and one of those you wouldn't be seen dead in!!
The manufacturers of outdoor gear really need to wake up to the fact that there a lot of women who want a decent selection of good quality gear, preferably in colours that don't make us look ridiculous.

Agreed, agreed, agreed! I've ranted about the issue of women's outdoor gear on the forum before also. It really grinds my gears. I've taken to (politely) ranting at staff in outdoor stores about it also. Was discussing the issue with a female member of staff in Cotswolds a few weeks back after finding myself purchasing an Osprey backpack in a slightly irritatingly girlie red wine colour (only other colours for women were an even more girlie purple or a vile, really vile bright snot green). Osprey backpacks are a perfect fit for me so in this case I chose comfort over styling. Anyway, as I had a bit of a rant that I had* to buy a backpack in a naff colour she told me she completely agreed, many women shared my grievance and that she had personally been informing manufacturers that women don't want bright pink etc. gear. I live in hope that the manufacturers are taking it on board.

(* obviously, I did not have to buy it, however the fit was perfect and at least it wasn't bright pink or purple. Rather than suffer with a backpack in a better colour but not as good a fit I bought a really good backpack in a colour I am (just about) able to accept).
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby Lenore » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:28 am

SMRussell wrote:
bootsandpaddles wrote:This review just about sums it up really. Only 4 women's jackets and one of those you wouldn't be seen dead in!!

Agreed, agreed, agreed! I've ranted about the issue of women's outdoor gear on the forum before also. It really grinds my gears. I've taken to (politely) ranting at staff in outdoor stores about it also. Was discussing the issue with a female member of staff in Cotswolds a few weeks back after finding myself purchasing an Osprey backpack in a slightly irritatingly girlie red wine colour (only other colours for women were an even more girlie purple or a vile, really vile bright snot green). Osprey backpacks are a perfect fit for me so in this case I chose comfort over styling. Anyway, as I had a bit of a rant that I had* to buy a backpack in a naff colour

Haha Yes, the snot green, whoever buys that anyway?? My problem with the often smaller selection of women's stuff that doesn't look ridiculous is that my arms seem to be abnormally long and as wet arms suck, I tend to buy men's waterproofs. I've got an excellent berghaus (forgot the type...) that makes me look pregnant (which I'm not), but luckily it's black so I can pretend it's still 'slimming' ;-)
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby WillyTheWanderer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:26 pm

These jackets are very good for keeping the wind off and they may be useful for a short dash in the rain to the shops from the car but I am not sure they are suitable for a walk in the outdoors. Try one on and you will immediately realise that the jackets are too short for serious use - in the event of a shower, the rainwater will run down the jacket and soak your crotch and thighs. You will need to empty your pockets and place you wallet, camera, phone etc somewhere drier and carry a spare pair of underpants.
You could don your waterproof pants but on a typical British Summer day, do you really want to be taking your waterproof pants on and off every hour or so with each passing shower. Do you really want the hassle of putting them on at all.
What I really want is a jacket down to my knees. With quick-drying pants there's no problem if the bottom of the legs get wet temporarily. If I'm wearing shorts they will be covered and keep dry.
So who spends £200 + to keep their shoulders dry?
Steve
WillyTheWanderer

Postby tenohfive » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:35 pm

WillyTheWanderer wrote:What I really want is a jacket down to my knees.

I don't, I want something close fitting that will go over my backside and no further - much as most outdoors waterproof jackets do, with drawstrings to stop the wind coming underneath and getting to my torso. Something hanging loose around the knees just doesn't really fit with hill walking, where the wind comes in from beneath as well.

The jackets reviewed above are for a fairly specific purpose - they aren't a general purpose jacket. It sounds like they are targeted at people with very different requirements to yours. If you're looking for something a bit more heavy duty here's some light reading:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/gear-review-winter-waterproofs-for-him/008166/
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/gear-review-synthetic-insulated-jackets-for-winter/006299/
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby WillyTheWanderer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:27 pm

The only jacket which appears to fit over a walker's backside is the Berghaus Etive so again I would suggest these jackets are too short for any practical use.
Berghaus are one of the better manufacturers in providing longer length jackets. I use their Lightning jacket from years ago. Their Corniche IA Long jacket is also a better length, but a bit heavy.
The links lead to jackets with the same shortcomings as those in the review.
WillyTheWanderer

Postby Rudolph » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:25 pm

WillyTheWanderer wrote: I would suggest these jackets are too short for any practical use.

Given their popularity and the other comments on this thread, lots of people clearly find some practical use for them. So long as they overlap with my waterproof trousers I fond them much less restrictive than the 'long drop' versions.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby RockyRab » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 pm

WillyTheWanderer wrote:The only jacket which appears to fit over a walker's backside is the Berghaus Etive so again I would suggest these jackets are too short for any practical use.

I find longer jackets get in the way. I have to wear one at work and apart from keeping my bum a little bit more dry when I am sitting down they don't offer any benefit to me whatsoever.

Your own personal preference is for a longer jacket. That is great. Keep wearing your longer jacket and I will keep wearing my shorter jacket. We can all be happy that way.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk