walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent pegs

Tent pegs

Postby Lenore » Wed May 23, 2012 5:30 pm

I've recently bought a new tent, a jack wolfskin gosammer 1 person and it comes with (not enough!) light weight pegs, the ones shaped like a question mark at the top. Am a little worried about these not being secure in strong wind and about not getting them jammed in the ground if it's a bit rocky. Have looked at various 'storm' pegs and 'rock' pegs, varying from a bit heavier to about as heavy as the whole damn tent... Not entirely sure whether to replace and if so with what. I'm planning on wild camping so I won't know much about the terrain beforehand. Any suggestions? What type are you using? Have you ditched your light weight pegs or kept them?

Thanks for your help!!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Tent pegs

Postby basscadet » Wed May 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Alpkit do a really good peg for much cheapness.. Tikes I think they are called.. Indestructable, light and grippy. they are the best I've found in many years of wild camping :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed May 23, 2012 6:53 pm

Terra Nova and Hilleberg do good lightweight tent pegs - titanium. Not cheap but very good.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby mgmt! » Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm

i relaced my terra nova laser competition pegs (hairpins) with the hilleberg titanium, expensive yes, but you only gets what you pay for.
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 24, 2012 8:55 am

Remember you can also whittle 'em from sticks. :shock: Or take a metal-detector over a campsite and get free ones.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby basscadet » Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Remember you can also whittle 'em from sticks. :shock: Or take a metal-detector over a campsite and get free ones.

Aye, I got a rake of good 'uns from the burn at Derry Lodge :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Lenore » Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Remember you can also whittle 'em from sticks. :shock: Or take a metal-detector over a campsite and get free ones.

Hehe yes, I think I have some space left in the backpack for a metal detector :D

Thanks a lot for the tips people, will check those out.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu May 24, 2012 10:35 am

I use a mix of Camcleat Y-pegs and Vargo Ti Nails, and they make for a rock solid combo in most ground types.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby electricfly » Thu May 24, 2012 11:03 am

A good few years ago (2006 i think) I bought a Karrimor Beta backbacking tent from Blacks in Ft William. Having owned many different shapes and sizes of tents over the years I had an array pegs in many forms. Most of these were bent at some stage in their life...

...However with this little Karrimor came a set of lightweight alloy pegs, the likes of which I have been unable to find sold anywhere. Even after severe mallet bashings, they still remain straight as they were new.

Last week, whilst browsing in the Killin Outdoor Centre Mountain Shop I happened upon a basket of tent pegs... 40p each, the very alloy/lightweight design almost identical to the Karrimor pegs.

I nearly bought the lot! :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby Lenore » Sun May 27, 2012 7:01 am

electricfly wrote:
Last week, whilst browsing in the Killin Outdoor Centre Mountain Shop I happened upon a basket of tent pegs... 40p each, the very alloy/lightweight design almost identical to the Karrimor pegs.

I nearly bought the lot! :D

That would secure a very big tent :D
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun May 27, 2012 10:00 am

Would the metal-detector not cost more than the pegs :? :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby brodiedillon303 » Mon May 28, 2012 5:31 pm

hi lenore I use the wolfskin and have never had a problem with the pegs. they can be pushed in easy enough but clearly not if you hit stones below. With all the pegs planted in the ground my wolfskin withstood gale force wind and sleet on the banks of loch lomond (see my report WHW) I have just bought a terra nova voyager for when i go walk about with my wife. The terra nova titanium 2g pegs are in my opinion not up to the job. I will not be using them. When not using the wolfskin I.m going to use its pegs for the terra nova voyager.Might need to add a couple. The pegs weigh about 18g each made of aluminium alloy of sorts. I feel they are a good balance between weight and 'doing the bizness'. There are some bits of kit that you just have to ignore the weight of (within reason) and go for reliable sturdy 'can do' function. The total weight of all the terra nova pegs was 24g the wolfskin pegs weigh in at 180g but for me there is no question about what is more reliable........................ i'd keep the wolfskin pegs until I test better ones. :)
brodiedillon303

Postby Lenore » Wed May 30, 2012 10:51 pm

brodiedillon303 wrote:hi lenore I use the wolfskin and have never had a problem with the pegs. they can be pushed in easy enough but clearly not if you hit stones below. With all the pegs planted in the ground my wolfskin withstood gale force wind and sleet on the banks of loch lomond (see my report WHW) I have just bought a terra nova voyager for when i go walk about with my wife. The terra nova titanium 2g pegs are in my opinion not up to the job. I will not be using them. When not using the wolfskin I.m going to use its pegs for the terra nova voyager.Might need to add a couple. The pegs weigh about 18g each made of aluminium alloy of sorts. I feel they are a good balance between weight and 'doing the bizness'. There are some bits of kit that you just have to ignore the weight of (within reason) and go for reliable sturdy 'can do' function. The total weight of all the terra nova pegs was 24g the wolfskin pegs weigh in at 180g but for me there is no question about what is more reliable........................ i'd keep the wolfskin pegs until I test better ones. :)

Ah that's good to hear. Perhaps I should just give them a chance and take the original ones with me this summer. If I don't like them I can always get the ones the others suggested later. I had to hammer them in on a stony field this weekend and they seem fine so far...

thanks a lot for the advice!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Postby brodiedillon303 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 am

yeah lenore take the originals with you. i assume they are the same as mine. they are quite sturdy I think. do they weigh the same around 18g each. if so they will do the job.have a back up in case but i like them. 8)
brodiedillon303

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk