walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairn Toul and Braeriach Circuit

Cairn Toul and Braeriach Circuit

Postby downsman » Sun May 27, 2012 3:15 pm

After an unsuccessful attempt at combining Braeriach and Cairn Toul 2 years ago due to the weather, I would like to maximise my chances of doing it this year.

The approach will, as before, be from the north and, reading Ronald Turnbull's book on the Cairngorms, it would seem the quickest way to do it from this direction is to cycle to Piccadilly, walk through the Lairig Ghru to Corrour Bothy, climb up the Coire Odhar and then circle the corrie rim to Braeriach - which I have climbed previously. This would avoid the Chalamain Gap completely!

Has anyone done this and, if so, how long did it take? Where is the best place to start the bike section from and is it feasible to ride beyound Piccadilly?
downsman
Munro compleatist

Re: Cairn Toul and Braeriach Circuit

Postby Gythral » Sun May 27, 2012 3:38 pm

It should be possible, but the path gets rougher. I've been past by mountain bikers almost as far as the ford west of Chalamain gap, (NH956048) and see no reason that should you stop before the slope up to Srone na Lairige path area or maybe 1km more!
Most bikes I see turn at NH951057, usually downhill towards the Lodge!

There was some work being done on that section of the path a few weeks ago when I was up there.

I think that the path from the the lodge is easier and there's a good track upto the Lodge from the road at Loch Morlich, although I've seen more bikes coming up from the Cairngorm Club Bridge direction.

Cant help with times I've not used a bike there yet!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby downsman » Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 am

Thanks. From what you say however, it may be counter-productive to try and ride beyond Piccadilly and cycling up to the Lodge would bring you closer to the Bothy.

Also I assume the Lodge would be a good place to leave the bike. This should reduce the time to reach the Bothy to about 4 hours and, allowing 2.5 hours up Coire Odhar and another 2.5 round the corrie rim, it should take about 9 hours to the summit of Braeriach.
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Mon May 28, 2012 8:51 am

A good and easy day out would be to cycle to Loch Einich, climb Braeriach, follow the Garbh Coire rim to Cairn Toul and angle back down to the top of Coire Dondhail again.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby downsman » Mon May 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Yes, but only if there's a path up Braeriach from the west - there's nothing shown on the map!
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Mon May 28, 2012 3:28 pm

downsman wrote:Yes, but only if there's a path up Braeriach from the west - there's nothing shown on the map!

The path I usually use is the one up Coire Dondhail from near loch Einich, the bike is left where the path joins the glen track. It's an excellent path that angles gently up into the coire, then zig zags before passing through a break in the crags. Once it emerges out onto open ground, it disappears, but you just follow the stream to the skyline. One you're that high up, there's no need for paths as the going is easy.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby krisw » Mon May 28, 2012 7:10 pm

The approach from Linn of Dee is also very fast since you can cycle all the way up to Luibeg bridge, past Derry lodge.
krisw
Stravaiging

Postby downsman » Tue May 29, 2012 7:07 am

Indeed, although not the most convenient approach if you are staying in Coylumbridge!

Going back to the Loch Einich route, there is an account on this site and photos that describe it a steep and pathless. If it's anything like the climb up Ben Macdui from the Lairig Ghru or up Carn Mor Dearg from the CIC hut, I think I would prefer the longer route over Sron na Lairige.
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Astronick » Tue May 29, 2012 8:46 am

The weather wasn't great when I did Braeriach via Glen Einich but I can assure you that the track up Coire Dondhail is an excellent one. Here are a couple of shots of the path both approaching the coire and then looking back down from higher up below the band of crags.

Approaching Coire Dhondail by Nick Bramhall, on Flickr

Climbing Coire Dhondail by Nick Bramhall, on Flickr

I think there is also a track up besides Loch Coire an Lochain but that one isn't shown on the OS 1:50,000 map. This would be a more direct route up to Braeriach, but the plateau walking from the top of Dondhail is superb and even in thick mist it didn't take me very long to get to the summit. You can take a look at my route from Whitewell by clicking the link here.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby downsman » Wed May 30, 2012 7:44 am

Thanks, that is very helpful. Having climbed Braeriach twice via Sron na Lairige, it would certainly be good to approach it from another direction, particularly one that avoids the Chalamain Gap!

The contributions on this topic suggest that the Cairn Toul and Braeriach circuit using this approach is perfectly doable in a day and is not the epic 2-day event described in some reports.

Any more information on the condition of the track up to Loch Einich and the route across to Cairn Toul would be gratefully received.
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Astronick » Wed May 30, 2012 8:38 am

downsman wrote:Any more information on the condition of the track up to Loch Einich and the route across to Cairn Toul would be gratefully received.

The track through Glen Einich is a good vehicle track that people have cycled along no problem. When I went up it last October it was after very heavy rain and there were a couple of stream crossings that required some negotiation. In more benign conditions these wouldn't be a problem. It's very similar in nature to say the Derry Road or the track up through Glen Callater if you are at all familiar with those?

As to the ground between Braeriach and Cairn Toul, I haven't done that so I'll leave it open to other people to chip in. However, on a clear day I don't think you'd have any problems. In mist, as with any of the big Cairngorm plateaus, you are going to require careful navigation.
Astronick
Stravaiging

Munros:220   Corbetts:52
Fionas:11   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:10   

Postby downsman » Wed May 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks. I am not very familiar with the Cairngorms - I've only been up there about half a dozen times as they are a long way from Sussex!

I would therefore be interested in whether the following estimates seem realistic, based on cycling from Coylumbridge where I will be staying to Loch Einich:

Coylumbridge to Loch Einich - 30 mins
Loch Einich to Cairn Toul - 3.5 hours
Cairn Toul to Braeriach - 2 hours
Braeriach to Loch Einich - 2 hours
Loch Einich to Coylumbridge - 30 mins

Total 8.5 hours, say 10 hours to include stops, diversions etc.
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Wed May 30, 2012 10:42 pm

It depends on how good a biker you are, but 30mins from Coylumbridge is too optimistic - it took us an hour and a bit. If it were me, I'd go to Braeriach first, following the high ground from Einich Cairn to avoid losing height, get some decent views Northwards, then follow the Garbh Coire rim to Cairn Toul. From the col between Cairn Toul and Sgor an Lochain Uaine a steady angle of descent can be made back to the head of Coire Dondhail. All timings depend on your level of fitness and ability on crossing rough ground quickly, but crossing the plateau is fairly easy and takes kess time than you might think. I managed those 3 Munros from Glen Feshie in around 9 hours, all on foot, so your timing won't be too far out
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Postby downsman » Thu May 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks again. As only an occasional mountain biker I will therefore allow over an hour for the ride. I planned to aim for Cairn Toul first because I've never climbed it, although I have been up Braeriach twice.

However I will obviously be guided by someone with local knowledge.
downsman
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Thu May 31, 2012 11:00 pm

downsman wrote:Thanks again. As only an occasional mountain biker I will therefore allow over an hour for the ride. I planned to aim for Cairn Toul first because I've never climbed it, although I have been up Braeriach twice.

However I will obviously be guided by someone with local knowledge.

It would go easily either way, that's just a personal preference. Obviously, in your case it would be best to climb your unclimbed hills first, in case there's a need to cut the day short for any reason. It's 7 years since I was last there, but I'm going to have an overnight on the plateau this year to get some better photos and explore a bit more.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion