walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

As it happens.... guys and girls join me for my final munro

As it happens.... guys and girls join me for my final munro

Postby mountain thyme » Mon May 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 26/05/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 753m

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As it happens… guys and gals join me for my final munro!

When i first started climbing the munros, every time Michael and I passed through Glencoe he would point out Jimmy Savilles house and just to wind him up I would disagree and point to another house.
Last year when we were walking up Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach I told Michael about the dream I had the night before which involved me meeting Jimmy Saville in a pub. He was sitting on a barstool and I gave it ‘Hello Jimmy how you doing’ as you do… and we chatted for half an hour. When we got off the hill I put the radio on in my car and it was announced on the news that Jimmy Saville died!! Spooky.

When I first seen Schiehallion from Bidean nam Bian in 2010 I knew that if I managed to complete the munros that it would be on that hill. I loved the pointy shape of it and became very fond of it… didn’t know you could grow fond of a wee hill.

Also when growing up in Dumbarton my 2 friends and I spent every weekend listening to Kenny Jamieson singing Scottish and Irish folk songs in the local pub…There wasnt much else to do in Dumbarton :( Kenny is now living in Inverness ( we went to visit last year and spent the evening listening to him and his band in his local). Hes still gigging away and the name of his band is Schiehallion! Hence another reason for keeping it to last.

I never thought I would ever climb all 283 munros until I reached number 200. I thought if I could conquer Skye and my fear of the Inn Pinn then I knew I would finish the munros. So 2 years 11 months (get it right JC…not 3 years haha) later im now a Munro Compleatist! Yeeha

Its been an emotional year. My wee aunty was diagnosed with cancer in December 2010 and during the last 7 months of her life we spoke about all the things I had done on the hills to take her mind off things. She loved the outdoors and I would fill her in all my adventures including.. 8 munros in one day and finishing on Ben Nevis. When she passed away I decided that when I climbed my last one it would be in her memory and all money raised would go to the hospice which looked after her. So when going away to climb Schiehallion I had to bring along my wee mum, 2 aunts and uncle to enjoy the after party and raise a glass in my aunts honour.

So May 26th was the chosen day and what a day it was.. glorious! Left Tummel Bridge at 10 am and was in Braes of Foss carpark for 1015am. Excited or what? Im not normally an emotional person but I must admit I felt quite emotional driving there. It would be the end of an era.

Met 4 of my pals at 1045am and the hardcore team arrived at 11ish. Started walking just after 1130am slowly to allow another pal to catch up. Reached the summit for 130pm. Lots of stops along the way. When my phone came into signal i must of received about 15 good luck texts and one from Michael apologising for not being there! His ears must have been burning!

It was the first time ive carried a map but never once looked at it. Too much chat and a great path all the way from the car park straight up to the summit. Clear blue skies the full day and the hill in questioned was easily seen. A huge boulder field (which i hate walking on) leads you to the summit.

At the summit Jimmy Saville appeared as I was getting a summit picture. I initially thought this guy had just completed too. Then thought who is this maddy and get him out of my summit pics :( Took me a good 10 mintues to realise who it was. It was Michael!

Michael had been there for 4 hours and was a wee tad sunburnt. He had carried a table, bags of ice, pink champagne and put on a great wee banquet with the champagne in an ice bucket! He was knackered because im usually the one who carried all the gear up the hill when we walk :wink:

I was gobsmacked but ecstatic! It was a totally awesome feeling to have reached number 283 and on such a glorious day and with such great friends.

We sat at the summit for over an hour and to be honest I could of sat for another hour at least. I did not want that day to end.

We headed back back down the same path. Reached the bottom at 4 pm and 4 of my friends from Glasgow had drove up to enjoy the celebrations at the end waiting in the car park.

So 283 munros done. what to do now?! who knows! Corbetts? a new challenge?

Just to say Thank you so much to Michael for the great surprise.. the great spread, the champagne, the buffet at the top… cocktail sticks with delights on them..… the trifle for Johnny, gingerbread cake again but this time with 283 on it, sweets, Thanks for the Bolinger and cake at the bottom. Also a big thank you for all the hills we have done together. I know I would not have achieved so many in such a short space of time if you did not try and squeeze as many munros as you could into a weekend.

Thanks to Johnny Corbett for all the walks we have done together.Thanks to Johnny, Mo and Jimmy Craghopper for joining me again and for the great company as usual..Thanks again to you 3 and Kim for the lovely card and Champagne! Hopefully see you all soon on a wee hill.

Thanks to the guys from here who I have walked with over the last 3 years… Monty and Dooterbang. And to the nice guys and girls I have met from this site.. GLW , Jb likes a Beer, Alan S..Louis6
Thanks to my other mates who joined me on the walk Paul, Lauren, Jill, Ian and Helen....and to the ones who appeared at the end Anne, Hazel, Lynn and Jack, Jacqueline and Matt..... And for the numerous bottles of champagne and presents.

Heading to Spain tomorrow for 6 nights and my wee boots and poles need a rest and are therefore not coming on this wee trip! Time to relax :wink:
schiehallion 2012 007.jpg
Schiehallion lager getting packed for the trip

schiehallion 2012 010.jpg
wee send off. my mum and aunty

schiehallion 2012 011.jpg
first glimpse

schiehallion 2012 015.jpg
hardcore getting tired already

schiehallion 2012 018.jpg
numero 283

schiehallion 2012 021.jpg
now then now then....

schiehallion 2012 022.jpg
jimmy fixed it for me to reach 283... i always wanted a jimmyll fix it medal

schiehallion 2012 023.jpg
thirsty work getting to 283. cheers for the lanson jimmy

schiehallion 2012 024.jpg
lets get this party started

schiehallion 2012 025.jpg
hardcore on the super lager

schiehallion 2012 026.jpg
hows about that then

schiehallion 2012 029.jpg
views from the summit

schiehallion 2012 030.jpg
views

schiehallion 2012 033.jpg
party on

schiehallion 2012 035.jpg
views

schiehallion 2012 039.jpg
summit party

schiehallion 2012 046.jpg
prize medal

schiehallion 2012 047.jpg
michaels big bag

schiehallion 2012 050.jpg
party at the lodge.. jimmy chiiling

schiehallion 2012 052.jpg
tummel bridge

schiehallion 2012 060.jpg
mum

schiehallion 2012 061.jpg
beautiful.... be rude not to... calories required

schiehallion 2012 074.jpg
one for the road.. uncle

schiehallion 2012 077.jpg
farewell. end of an era

schiehallion 2012 078.jpg
final look towards schiehallion.... thank you and see again )
Last edited by mountain thyme on Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: As it happens.... guys and girls join me for my final mu

Postby pigeon » Mon May 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Brilliant :clap:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Mon May 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Enjoyed like it should be ! Have a cigar :lol:
soulminer

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 28, 2012 10:03 pm

:thumbup: great. don't forget to update your Munro map!!! :lol:
Last edited by mrssanta on Mon May 28, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon May 28, 2012 10:03 pm

Great stuff auld girl now go put your feet up and don't be chasing my Corbett total :lol: It was a superb day, we were all talking about when we were up Garbh Bheinn today, we all had a great time. Well done once again :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Many,many congrats MT,& what a guy mgmt :clap: :clap: sorry I was not able to make Sat (family stuff ) & so sorry to hear about your sad loss.....................glw.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Brilliant :clap: :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby monty » Mon May 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Fantastic Theresa. Well done on compleating in such a short time. Fantastic weather to compleat on and what a spread Michael put on for you. Sorry i missed it but you were surrounded by good friends on the day. Must have felt a bit emotional. Will have to join you for a corbett or two in the near future ;-)
monty

Postby Bod » Mon May 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Well done, and just simply lovely :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby BobMcBob » Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 pm

Congratulations!
Love the Jimmy Saville idea :D :clap:
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby mgmt! » Mon May 28, 2012 11:45 pm

well what can i say mountain thyme ? a big well done thats what :clap: :clap:

when i said i,d take you up a few, i didnt expect it to be a few hundred !!! it just seemed to snowball, but done them we did, in hail, rain, sun and snow. bothies, bunkhouses, tents and more. we done solo hills, doubles, trebles and that mighty eight in a day. i think you only had one real mone, the long day with the massive hail shower to finish :crazy: . on saturday you finally completed, what took you so long ? i finished last year mt :lol:
the wee party on top was the least i could do, for you put up with me for so long, pity you couldnt have kept up with me !!!
so enjoy you break in spain and good luck in whatever challenge you next take up :).

im away to lie down, you actually paid me a complement for once :shock: . maybe your still emotional :lol: :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Paul Webster » Tue May 29, 2012 8:52 am

Congrats again MT! Looks like MGMT and friends did you proud at the summit. Bollinger did you say :shock: I'm going to have to start them again :D

Enjoy the Corbetts :wink:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby RicKamila » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 am

Once again, congratulations MT. That looms like an amazing way to end you Munro round. Well done MGMT too for lugging all that up the hill :clap: :thumbup:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby dooterbang » Tue May 29, 2012 10:30 am

what a fantastic day on your last Munro...the sun shining and surrounded by those who matter, dosnt get any better.

Thanks for introducing me to (not so wild) camping after our Knoydart trip, and thanks to MGMT for leading us over The Forcan Ridge...i enjoyed both walks with yous guys.

It must be a surreal feeling to compleat the Munros, but one to be proud of. As MGMT states you have been on some crazy adventures in all weathers...takes resolve, stubborn determination and motivation to keep going...and you proved you have what it takes. Always plenty of Banter kicking around which is part of the fun, es[ecially with Monty around.

Well done MT - Maryhills number one burd!!
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Fudgie » Tue May 29, 2012 11:24 am

Well done MT :thumbup:

So how long until you start your second round? :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland