walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ice cold on "Mullach"

Ice cold on "Mullach"

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 27/05/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1155m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Late Sat afternoon & Alan wants to go "camping,camping Stirling style" somewhere,so 3 hrs later here we are down Glen Nevis where we set up camp for the night
008.JPG
All you really need
After what can only be described as a "restless nite"we are up bright and early and walking by 4.40am :shock: This was always the plan, to try and finish this walk before the sweltering heat forcast for mid day,even this early its showing 12 degrees as we leave the car,no matter onwards & upwards,rucksack is down to the bare bones,no waterproof jacket or trousers,no hat or gloves,no fleece,just 2 litres lucozade,2 litres water,4 energy bars,2 bananas,2 fruit pots,1 pkt jellybabies.
We start of at a brisk pace & soon work up a good sweat,climbing high up into the corrie below Stob Ban,but still sheltered from the sun that has not cleared the ridge line yet,we want to hit the ridge & picture the sun as it rises over the top,but first we need to cool ourselves down with a refreshing shower.
013.JPG
How good is that
Refreshed after this we crack on as the sun is just starting to clear the top of "the devils ridge".Its great when a wee plan come together
014.JPG
Well worth the early start
Stob Ban basking in the morning sun
015.JPG
Stob Ban
This makes us pick our pace up a shade & soon we reach the bealach where the the views are well..............
018.JPG
019.JPG
023.JPG
024.JPG
Not to shabby a place to sit & have breakfast says Alan,I think you may be right I say,
025.JPG
Alan having breakfast
026.JPG
A nice wee view from our table
We sat here for 20/25 min before making the final climb on to the summit os Stob Ban and more fine views.
029.JPG
033.JPG
and as always my summit pic
034.JPG
Clag free again
Another wee break taken here drinking in the views all around,not another soul on the mountain,no wind,no sound,perfecto once again,I must admit I am getting used to having clag free mountains that I used to get when I walked with that other fella,now whats his name.............oh thats right "the clag monster" :lol: :lol:
Even starting early,its now blistering hot and my barren bonce is cooking under the mid morning sun....................however,like the title says..........."Ice cold on Mullach"
035.JPG
Is this heaven
036.JPG
Ice cold in Alex........or is that Mullach
As Earl Brown said"heavens in the back seat of my cadillac"not this time Earl"heavens on the top of my bonce my man" :lol: :lol:
The ridge walk from Stob Ban to Mullach nan Coirean is a joy,and gives me & Alan a wee chance to look forward to our up coming"Fisherfield" trip with a few WH members in early Aug,lots of planning needed for this one,how much to take,how long will the walk take,will my gammy,knee,ankle hold up,how bad are the river crossings going to be,funny how the mind wanders when the going is easy.
In what seems know time we are at Mullach"s summit cairn,where the usuall pics are taken.
055.JPG
Penny for them mate
056.JPG
"Return of the buff"
A nice wee break again,and some more pics.
042.JPG
043.JPG
044.JPG
053.JPG
054.JPG
051.JPG
052.JPG
Sheer bliss,10.30am,two munro"s under the belt,and all thats left now is the descent back down to the car,and on the way down we past a few walkers coming up,sweat running of them,blowing bubbles,trying to suck in the warm air,faces red with all the effort,asking"did you turn back because its to warm".................................no we say,2 done & on the way home.........................."Ice cold on Mullach.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Ice cold on "Mullach"

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Slightly different weather from our last trip mate. Great photos. Next time i'll try & join you 8)

You've got me thinking & i'm now going to bynack more sat night high camp & walk back down the boys will love it & it will be good practice for the Fisherfields carrying the kit for all three of us :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2012 9:00 pm

jonny616 wrote:
You've got me thinking & i'm now going to bynack more sat night high camp & walk back down the boys will love it & it will be good practice for the Fisherfields carrying the kit for all three of us :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great idea mate,camp somewhere around "the barns"fun scrambling for the kids.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Tue May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Excellent mate 8) 8)
A fitting report to one of my best walks once again in the sun :D
So glad we decided to get up early (not that I had any choice) and be on a summit at that time, something I will definetly do again.

PS
Thanks for not putting the pic on of my moobs :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby laconic surf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Great report GLW.
A great day for it - tho it is getting weird seeing your summit shots without the backdrop of pea soup :lol:
Love the picture with the buff. With the black shirt and troos it reminds me of a Hell's Angel, only with a cairn where the Harley should be :lol:

Nice one
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2012 9:24 pm

alan s wrote:
PS
Thanks for not putting the pic on of my moobs :lol:

Dont know what you mean................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
032.JPG
Is it a whale on Stob Ban!!!!!!!!!!
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Tue May 29, 2012 9:31 pm

laconic surf wrote:Love the picture with the buff

There is a wee story about that buff but I wont mention it here, He ended up soaking it in a few burns on the way back down to cool down his receding napper,Im just glad it got washed :wink: :lol:
gammy leg walker wrote:Is it a whale on Stob Ban!!!!!!!!!!

Git :twisted:
I have reported this post as this is a family site and nobody wants to see that :lol:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby BobMcBob » Tue May 29, 2012 9:38 pm

Great report. With that early start you really missed out on an experience - a hot, sweaty, exhausting, and nearly terminal one :D The valley was in full sun by the time I started up it,. I think the snow on your head came from the same patch I filled my water bottle from. I hope you didn't put it back there... :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Tomsie » Tue May 29, 2012 9:41 pm

Hope the 4 beers were enough.
I was putting on suncream around 8am , always great to start early
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby laconic surf » Tue May 29, 2012 9:43 pm

alan s wrote:There is a wee story about that buff but I wont mention it here, He ended up soaking it in a few burns on the way back down to cool down his receding napper,Im just glad it got washed :wink: :lol:

Didn't do a Bear Grylls in the desert and use what ever fluid he had left I hope :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Quality Gammy, absolute quality. Great tale and stunning pics. Not too sure about the hat though.....but I might try it next time out :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rocket-ron » Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 pm

great report gammy looking forward to fisherfield. I know off 1 or 2 others that are intrested in it
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 29, 2012 9:54 pm

Brilliant stuff Gammy, the photos are superb. Did you two not spend a cosy night in a one man tent last year and now here you are sharing the back of a Landrover together :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2012 9:57 pm

rocket-ron wrote:great report gammy looking forward to fisherfield. I know off 1 or 2 others that are intrested in it

Fine by me Ron,so far its me.....you....alan.......jonny.......mark (maybe).
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 29, 2012 10:04 pm

ChrisW wrote:Quality Gammy, absolute quality. Great tale and stunning pics. Not too sure about the hat though.....but I might try it next time out :lol:

Thanks Chris,got another wee run going weather wise,the hat is worth a wee try,that & my buff soaked in any running water cools you down.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland