walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro

First Munro

Postby psticks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 760m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ok I know Schiehallion has got a bad press in some of the walk reports. But it suited us just fine for our first Munro. A well marked path and no worrying navigating. So after consulting the link on WH to the weather forecast and finding a near as perfect as we could get, we decided to go for it. Another trip to Tiso (Doh! Kerching kerching) for some bits and bobs, another Explorer Map, that brings our collection to two, a first aid kit and survival bag (you can never be too sure of the weather forecast). I’m sure the salesman in there rubs his hands when he see’s me darken his door! We are almost on first name terms.

So after a fitful night considering all the potential problems – Midges, bad weather, blisters, not enough water, too much water? Vertigo etc etc etc. I had visions of me being helped to the car park sobbing within the first 500 yards by the local Cub Scouts or Moutain Rescue. We set off from Perth and arrived ready to go at 09.00, after eating a pasta/chicken breakfast in the car. We hoped our new kit wouldn’t make us too obvious but time to man up and step up – literally.

The weather was perfect, a high cloud base so we could see the summit, sunny spells and a brisk cooling, sometimes chilly wind with good visibility. Ok some folk seem a bit blasé about this hill, but to us, this is the real deal, a real adventure.

DSCN7312.JPG
Oooer! Have we bitten off more than we can chew?

I must say, what a fantastic job the Muir Trust have made of the path, respect to the people who built it. It made some of the steeper sections a lot easier. :clap:

We were walking up and heard something akin to a pig snorting in vibrato, then a little black bird popped out onto the path, followed by its mate. We thought it might have been on a nest so we carefully stepped off the path and gave it a wide berth. I’m sure i am going to be inundated by all the experienced hill goers who will inform me what we were looking at.

DSCN7318.JPG
Ok you Birders, tell me what it is.

I suggested we take it easy on the way up as I wanted to turn around from the path to admire the views and make the most of the photo opportunities. Or in other words I wanted plenty of rest stops! LOL. The path at times is quite steep, but our slowly but surely pace gradually eat the distance up to the boulders. I wasn’t looking forward to this but it made a nice change and the going seemed to be a little easier.

As we approached the first Cairn snapping away, I learnt a very valuable lesson – always charge your camera! Doh! :roll: Luckily I had my phone with integral camera, Phew! I don’t I would have survived the day without summit photo’s. :oops:

Well we made it to the top and what views!!!!!. After the summit photos, we found a small safe ledge facing south out of the wind and settled down for coffee and sandwiches in the sun. Although we wasn’t bothered about times as the aim for the day was an enjoyable safe walk, but we were both surprised to see we had made the top in less than two hours. We enjoyed the sun and vittals for about 40 minutes then reluctantly set off back down.

DSCN7321.JPG

IMG-20120604-00360.jpg
Yours truly at the top.

IMG-20120604-00365.jpg
What a spectacular spot to eat lunch and enjoy the heat of the sun.

It was easier to see the best route in the boulders going down and we took a route closer to the ridge on the right. As it was about 12.45 when we set off going down we met a lot more folk coming up. Most of them had a smile and a quick Hello as we passed. It was interesting to see how many young, really young children there were coming up. Better for them than computer games out in the fresh air. Mind you, there was a Father racing up the boulders with his daughter on his shoulders!!, he was obviously a lot more sure of his footing than I was!

IMG-20120604-00366.jpg
Great visibility

We dawdled down through the boulders and down the path trying to make the day last, eking out every last drop of the experience, until at last, we arrived at the car park at about 14.30. One little thing to mention, that the toilets were not there , even though on the board it does say they are there in summer. Is June not summer?. What with so many women and children on the hill I would have thought some provision would be made, even just a portaloo. Dare I suggest they increase the car park charge to cover it. £2 for a day out these days is nothing, I would have paid a fiver. Anyway that’s just my opinion from an old git with crossed legs at the end of the day..

I didn’t realise how tired I was until I tried to fold myself up to get into the car. Even the drive back to Perth through Aberfeldy rammed it home to us how lucky we are to live in Scotland and we started discussing which route is next. Any suggestions for two newbies? :wave:
psticks
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: First Munro

Postby Ranger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm

For the rest of your life you can look at calendar pictures of Schiehallion and think 'I climbed that!' (or say 'I climbed that' if you feel like showing off) :wink:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Schiehallion is a good hill! I thoroughly enjoyed it, something different and the views are splendid.

We decided to head to Kinlochrannoch afterwards to enjoy the views and get that famous pyramidal shape Schiehallion has. You also get the feeling of being on a piece of history, given the myths and historical events that have happened on or near it.

I'm only on my phone, but I think your bird is a Ptarmigan.

Well done on bagging your first Munro, hope there are many more to follow.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:22 pm

I also think that bird is a Ptarmigan as we saw one on The Mammores.

In terms of your next hill, a straightforward hill that isn't too far from you is Ben Chonzie. There is a path for about 2/3 of the walk and the ascent is gradual like Schiehallion which takes you up to a large flat summit.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby psticks » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:41 pm

Ranger wrote:For the rest of your life you can look at calendar pictures of Schiehallion and think 'I climbed that!' (or say 'I climbed that' if you feel like showing off) :wink:

Thanks Ranger, I think I might get one of those calendars :D
psticks
Hill Bagger

Postby psticks » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Schiehallion is a good hill! I thoroughly enjoyed it, something different and the views are splendid.

We decided to head to Kinlochrannoch afterwards to enjoy the views and get that famous pyramidal shape Schiehallion has. You also get the feeling of being on a piece of history, given the myths and historical events that have happened on or near it.

I'm only on my phone, but I think your bird is a Ptarmigan.

Well done on bagging your first Munro, hope there are many more to follow.

Thanks ScottishLeaf, yep the views make it all worth while. I am going to take a journey to Kinlochrannoch to try and photograph it from that angle.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Postby psticks » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Fudgie wrote:I also think that bird is a Ptarmigan as we saw one on The Mammores.

In terms of your next hill, a straightforward hill that isn't too far from you is Ben Chonzie. There is a path for about 2/3 of the walk and the ascent is gradual like Schiehallion which takes you up to a large flat summit.

Cheers Fudgie, looks like your right on the ID, Ptarmigan it is, and thanks for the recommendation of Ben Chonzie. We have added it to our to do list.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Congratualtions psticks. I hope it's the first of many and what a hill to start with! One of my very favourites - got some great pics of Ruby my Dalmatian when we climbed it in winter conditions earlier this year.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:20 am

Congrats on your first Munro, great feeling isn't it and a cracking hobby. Not done this Munro yet but will soon.

Yip it's a ptarmigan indeed, saw my first one also only a few days ago on Ben Vorlich Loch Lomond. Did you hear it's call? It is wonderful. I managed to get it on video.

Enjoy and see you on the hills.

Is that a wee square sporran? Looks Grt!
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby psticks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:04 pm

2dalmatians wrote:Congratualtions psticks. I hope it's the first of many and what a hill to start with! One of my very favourites - got some great pics of Ruby my Dalmatian when we climbed it in winter conditions earlier this year.

Thanks 2dalmations, good luck with the wild camping, I really fancy that.
psticks
Hill Bagger

Postby psticks » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:13 pm

mr_ash_37 wrote:Congrats on your first Munro, great feeling isn't it and a cracking hobby. Not done this Munro yet but will soon.

Yip it's a ptarmigan indeed, saw my first one also only a few days ago on Ben Vorlich Loch Lomond. Did you hear it's call? It is wonderful. I managed to get it on video.

Enjoy and see you on the hills.

Is that a wee square sporran? Looks Grt!

Thanks Mr Ash, yep great feeling indeed! and on our doorstep, learning how to ski last year gave me the impetus to get out and see the hills when they are green as well.

have consulted my birding guide and it is a Ptarmigan. It was the call that alerted us to it, a really weird grating noise. My book describes it a s a low snoring rattle which is a good description. I reckon that it may have been nesting and warning us or its mate which popped up as we got closer.

The sporran (LOL!) is a Saddleback pouch which I wear round my waist for storing camera, phone and wallet. See http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Pouch

Will look out for you :D
psticks
Hill Bagger

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland