walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Sunday session on Schiehallion

A Sunday session on Schiehallion

Postby shelbyandamonkey » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 731m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A weekend in Stirling visiting friends and wandering the Ochils was nicely rounded off with a wee wander up Schiehallion on Sunday last week.

DSCN1070.JPG
Looking over Dumyat and Stirling

A few mates joined us, amongst them one who has never done any kind of hillwalking before. We drove up via the hill road from Stirling to Aberfeldy, and fair bonny a drive it is as well :) Coming over into Aberfeldy we go the first glimpse of the days aim:

DSCN1119.JPG
Our target for the day looking HUGE!

We all rendevouzed at the Braes of Foss car park and were off by about half nine, and it was already busy with lots of folk out enjoying the day. I found this strange as so far all the hills I've been up have been empty, usually just me and the other half, it was an interesting change.The weather was looking promising at this point, warmish, high cloud level and patchy sunshine.

DSCN1084.JPG

DSCN1085.JPG

DSCN1086.JPG

DSCN1090.JPG

The paths very obvious all the way up, and until half way its a straightforward and well constructed path up to the broad ridge. Soon we chatted to a guy with his wee scoot of a daughter aged 5 who had just completed her first Munro....well done!! :clap: He warned us it was -3 at the summit...eeek!

DSCN1092.JPG

DSCN1096.JPG

DSCN1100.JPG

Layers at the ready we carried on and soon enough it got both more interesting and colder as we started the clamber over the boulderfield. about 45 minutes later with everyones ankles intact we made the summit, and had a wee celebration with a couple of shared beers to celebrate Carolyns first Munro! :clap: The summit was more interesting than I expected, rocky with lots of opportunity to have a wee scramble about. Views were fantastic in all directions and we could see right over Rannoch Moor to Beauchallie Etive Mor and the entrance to Glencoe....wonderful! Was a bit horrified to see a girl in skinny jeans, pumps and a t shirt on...god knows how she made it without breaking anything :crazy: it was pretty cold up top too!

DSCN1102.JPG

DSCN1098.JPG

DSCN1103.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG

DSCN1109.JPG

DSCN1112.JPG

DSCN1113.JPG

We then reversed the same route back, with eagle eye Mike spotting a very well camoflaged Ptarmigan amongst the rocks.
DSCN1114.JPG
can you spot him?

DSCN1116.JPG
There he is!

We got back to the car park with Carolyns poor feet suffering from blisters...but I think she might be hooked...another converted. :wink:
Overall found Schiehallion a suprising wee hill, great rewarding summit with not too much effort.
shelbyandamonkey
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   

Re: A Sunday session on Schiehallion

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:25 pm

Had a wee sesh up there myself recently on a compleation party :D That Schiehallion lager though gets the :thumbdown:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: A Sunday session on Schiehallion

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:25 pm

I enjoyed Schiehallion, the boulder field gives it a lot of character and it has to be one of the most iconic hills in Scotland.
But as Johnny says, the hill is a lot better than the lager bearing it's name!!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland