walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another superb Autumn day in the Highlands

Another superb Autumn day in the Highlands

Postby imacd » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Route description: Stac Pollaidh ridge and circuit

Fionas included on this walk: Stac Pollaidh

Date walked: 22/10/2009

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 4 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The idea of doing this route was to 'break-in' the new boots, wearing them around the house wasn't proving too popular and a few circuits of Drumnadrochit woods wasn't much of a test. The weather looked better in the west so off we set with an idea this would be a bit of a stroll, I had glanced at the walk description and the only thing that seemed to sink in was that I wouldn't be heading west at the top.
For those reading this before going up the other reports are accurate - this is steep - very steep and relentless, but oh so worth doing.
We set off around 12:15pm and were back at the car park by 3:00pm with some short stops en route and about 20-30 mins on top (only on the east summit!).
As you'll see from the photos we had great weather and I must say something about the path, it is superb; the time, effort and money that has gone into creating this incredible route to the top and alowing the previous scar of a path to heal, deserves enormous recognition. This is a very busy route on a delicate hill and without the path things could get messy and dangerous.
Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2431.JPG
Stac Pollaidh

Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2432.JPG
Looking back towards the car park

Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2433.JPG
Heading around the east side on the excellent path

The following image shows the east summit and somewhere up there are a very nice engaged couple trying to scramble to the top the hard way as some kind of pre-nuptual test of character :D - they ended up going round to the path and arrived at the top shortly after us - good luck for the wedding.
Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2435.JPG
The east 'end'

Below are some of the neighbours
Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2438.JPG
Cul Beag

Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2437.JPG
Cul Mor

Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2459.JPG
Suilven

Some views from the top (or as far as I was going)
Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2453.JPG
From the Col looking west - some brave souls were heading for the peak

Stac Pollaidh_2009 10 22_2454.JPG
Looking East

We went back down to the main path and took the route west - a lot of people were retracing their steps, but if anything the return was gentler on the knees than I anticipate the way we came would have been.
All in all a cracking few hours spent testing the boots, which incidentally performed nicely and a route I highly recommend especially for the views
imacd
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: Another superb Autumn day in the Highlands

Postby James_McG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 pm

What a fantastic climb to break your boots in :)

Great report & photo's, glad you got such a good day for your climb!

Laughing at that couples pre-nuptual test of character climbing the east summit, can think of easier ways but I guess the views would'nt be the same :)

Jim
James_McG
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Another superb Autumn day in the Highlands

Postby hills » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Good stuff! What a great hill this is, unfortunately falling apart very rapidly. :(
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland