walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

In need of advice Barrisdale to Suardalan bothy

In need of advice Barrisdale to Suardalan bothy

Postby wheretonoo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:08 am

Hi, I'm starting the CWT in a couple of week and have planned to do the first leg Fort William to Strathcarron by using bothies for the most part. Has anyone any first hand experiance in the section from Barrisdale bothy to Suardalan bothy? My main concerns are possible burns that can become dodgy with heavy rainfall, I'm doing this as a solo trip so I'm trying to cover all bases just in case, lol. There's plenty of info for most other sections, but I think most folks head over into Shiel Bridge over the Forcan Ridge, missing Sourdalan bothy.
wheretonoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:33   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   

Re: In need of advice Barrisdale to Suardalan bothy

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:00 am

wheretonoo wrote:Hi, I'm starting the CWT in a couple of week and have planned to do the first leg Fort William to Strathcarron by using bothies for the most part. Has anyone any first hand experiance in the section from Barrisdale bothy to Suardalan bothy? My main concerns are possible burns that can become dodgy with heavy rainfall, I'm doing this as a solo trip so I'm trying to cover all bases just in case, lol. There's plenty of info for most other sections, but I think most folks head over into Shiel Bridge over the Forcan Ridge, missing Sourdalan bothy.

The bothy at Barrisdale Bay is appalling; it is in the building that houses the generator for nearby estate homes. The noise and vibration produced make it impossible to sleep there. The electric light is on permanently and cannot be switched off.There is no fire-place. It is really only an emergency shelter. A wee one-man tent might be your best bet there. The burns will certainly swell up to dangerous spate conditions if the weather is wet; staying high can avoid this, but if the weather is that lousy you may just want to postpone the trip until better conditions prevail.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby lochlaggan » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 pm

Barrisdale bothy is looking much better having had a lick of paint and tidy up!
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby wheretonoo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, I'm hoping the flash floods happening just now will finish before I set off but just now they're my biggest worry. I never knew bothy also housed generator but I'll have a one man tent as back up anyway. Are there any problematic crossings when I get close to suardalan bothy, a friend of mine is sure he's read somewhere there were two water crossings just before the bothy but can't pinpoint them? Anyone know about them?
wheretonoo
Munro compleatist

Postby Essan » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:15 pm

The main problems will be the Abhainn Gleann Dubh Lochan which I know can be impassable in spate, and the Allt Ghleann Aoidhdailean down the other side of the pass.

(for a horror story read: http://bubl.ac.uk/org/tacit/tac/tac48/talesfro.htm - worst night of my life)

There are a couple of streams to cross near Suardalen but I don't recall them being problems (though not been there in wet weather) and if a crossing gets you wet it's not far to the bothy!
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby wheretonoo » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:23 am

Thanks for the advice essan, I'll have a look at them on memory map tmrw. Am stuck on 12 hr shift this wkend. Have heard a few horror stories about water spates for this trip, hopefully be dry n sunny - aye right! Ha ha
wheretonoo
Munro compleatist

Postby IanEzzi » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I did a variation of the CWT by bike, the section from Kinlochhourne to Suardalenan seemed fine, I don't remember any horror crossings and it was by no means dry when I did it.

Likewise, we stayed in Barrisdale bothy just the other night, not the nicest bothy I've been in, definite whiff of **** when we entered, but it was out of the midgies and we didn't notice the smell after five minutes, might just have needed the door opening and closing a few times. The lights were actually off permanently when we were in, and the generator seemed to run between 8pm and 10pm, not exactly pleasant but didn't ruin our night's sleep. I guess if we hadn't wanted somewhere to sit and chat etc. a tent might have been a nicer option.
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby wheretonoo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks for the reply Ian. I'm all set for leaving this coming Tuesday. I've had a good look at the crossings and there are options for higher ground if needed, but hopefully not.It's great to hear from people who have actually been on these routes. I imagine the midges will be a a bit of a torment so I'll be happy to use the bothy to cook in otherwise I'll likely camp or bivvy.
wheretonoo
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion