walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Shiel North Ridge (12 Munro extravaganza) Part 2

Glen Shiel North Ridge (12 Munro extravaganza) Part 2

Postby LittleMissMaria » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Date walked: 16/06/2012

Time taken: 72 hours

Distance: 44.7 km

Ascent: 4217m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sorry folks i don't know if i'm doing this right, but this is part 2 of my trip report (well it was a long trip......) and i could only put 25 photo's on Part 1.

Day 3

Ok, so besides the fact I'm running low on food, have no milk left,have run out of daily disposable contact lenses, no wine left, my mammut pillow has popped (Grrrrrr, this is the 2nd one that's done that! Grrrrr....) have no tissues (but do have toilet roll!) and boiled sweets now taste delicious! So besides all that, life is flipping marvellous and the adventure continues........

I set off now to my 2nd Munro of the day and the 1st 'brother', Aonach Meadhoin (no doubt my 'friend' from Ciste Dhubh has long gone....)
P6024340.JPG
Short walk to Aonach Meadhoin

After my initial climb up here this morning, this is now a rather pleasant stroll across to what is an unassuming peak, where i meet my walking 'companion' for the day - i rather fit fell runner ..... very lovely chap; who for a change isn't worried about me one bit, in fact he reassures me that there's absolutely loads of places i can set up camp on the ridge! Great stuff!
P6024343.JPG
Peak of Aonach Meadhoin rather unassuming!

However the view across to the 2nd brother, Sgurr a Bhealaich looks quite interesting.
P6024345.JPG
Quite a drop down, before i ascend again to the 2nd brother

I continue and drop down the narrow west ridge of Aonach Meadhoin to a col before climbing (again!) to the level crest of Sgurr a Bhealaich Dheirg. Oooooooo this is where is gets really interesting. You have to traverse the narrow north east spurr before you reach the supberb tall cairn (on which i almost got stuck). Brother 2 conquered, and i continue my journey on towards the 3rd.
P6024347.JPG
north east spurr to the summit cairn, whoo hoo!

P6024357.JPG
Looking back towards the summit cairn

This again was a pleasant ridge walk; not too much descent and ascent, and nothing that's incredibly steep, in fact Saileag hardly feels like a Munro at all. At 956 meters, it is the smallest Munro on the North side of Glen Shiel. Although saying that I'd met up with my fell runner companion again at this stage and was walking alongside him - and where he was wearing shorts and a vest and carrying bugger all, i was carrying my home on my back - get the picture?? He was also making me talk to him (which is extremely difficult when trying to breath at the same time... :lol: )
P6024359.JPG
View from top of Saileag, looking at the Five Sisters...marvellous!

So it's at this point that my companion leaves me and heads off down the Meall a Chara, he's camping down by Glenlicht House, Gleann Lichd, where he's worried some Highland Coos may have eaten his tent. So i head down to Bealach an Lapan, where i had intended to camp and which was indeed a good spot..... but it was too early and i'd also read that there was a bit of a dodgy down climb from Sgurr nan Spainteach so i decided I'd try and get that over and done with while i still had the time and energy..... so onwards and upwards for me!
P6024364.JPG
View down to Glen Shiel from Bealach an Lapan

It's a long and rocky walk across the ridge from here toward my camp for the night and i'm a little nervous about what to expect with the downclimb (ordinarily i wouldn't be worried about this, but such a heavy bag really puts you off balance and I'm travelling alone as there is no one else left on the ridge).
P6024365.JPG
ridge walk....

P6024371.JPG
views on the ridge

P6024372.JPG
views form the ridge

So i continue to make my way across to Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe and I have decided i will make camp at the bealach na Craoibhe, which looks quite 'campable'...
I reach the downclimb which is quite interesting but not too impossible, and inevitably i do it the hard way, though it's always easy to see clearly the 'easy' route once you are down. There is a rather curious basin at the bottom of Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe, which at this time of day is in shadow and still completely full of snow. No wonder, as it is bitterly cold in the shade and the wind is biting. I rushed my way to the top, but was utterly exhausted by this time in the day. The wind had picked up through the day and i just had time to check the weather forecast on my phone before the battery died - snow forecast that night, eeek..... (i only had my 'summer' sleeping bag with me).
The bealach was quite rocky and windy but i did manage to find a little spot that was fairly flat and rock free, but quite windy - no worries i had ear plugs.
Absolutely dead on my feet, i made camp for the night, by this time, also running out of gas and was contemplating no brekkie....
P6024376.JPG
I know it looks perfect, but believe me it was windy and quite bitter!

P6024379.JPG
Fantastic views across to the Forcan ridge!

P6024384.JPG
Goodnight!

P6024387.JPG
Beautiful!

Brrrrrrr..... I awake to this and decide I aint leaving my tent till it gets a bit warmer. Serves me right for camping at 900m plus when snow is forecast!
P6034390.JPG
Brrrr, a bit cold.....

Eventually, i emerge from my tent (11:00am!) after spending the morning singing away to my ipod (before that also died) and headed along the rocky ridge to the next conquest, where i came across a couple enjoying a cuppa (they assured me that even though they'd passed my tent, they hadn't heard me singing....hmmmmm). I climb the broad ridge to the summit of Sgurr na Carnach which should have been fairly easy, but by this stage in the trip, and after 8 days of walking, and 21 Munros I am flippin weary! (to say the least).
P6034393.JPG
Looking across to Sgurr nan Carnach

From Munro number 22, I continue to plod along very slowly indeed. The bealach at Carnach has plenty of perfect camping spots, but there's no way i could have made my way across to here yesterday. OMG, how steep is it to get up the final Munro, Sgurr Fhuaran???? Answer - STEEP!!!!! Another couple pass me on my way up, but i have to stop half way and eat my 'emergency' marzipan. Just as i reach the top the couple are leaving, but have obviously waited for me to get there to make sure I'm ok..... emergency marzipan in tummy - I'm revived again!
P6034402.JPG
Top of Sgurr Fhuaran, 23 Munros, 9 days!

Now at this point, you'd think the journey is complete, but oh no..... I still have to make it across Sgurr nan Saighead and Beinn Bhuidhe down to Coire na Criche and the excruciating final trek down an incredibly steep path alongside Ault a Chruinn to the road at Loch Duich.
P6034409.JPG
View from Bealach Bhuidhe looking towards Loch Duich

P6034414.JPG
Descending Beinn Bhuidhe towards Alt a Chruinn

P6034416.JPG
Steep path!

P6034417.JPG
Road across Loch Duich

P6034420.JPG
Don't know what it is, but the colours are amazing!

And my final photo of the day! I reached the Kintail Lodge Hotel at 3.30pm, 72 hours and 30 minutes after I'd set off. I can tell you i was pretty hungry and when my friend arrived I grabbed a tenner off her and practically ran in the Hotel. Much to my dismay to find they didn't serve bar meals until 6pm....... I consoled myself with 3 mini - pork pies and 2 hotdogs back at my car.

We then drove over to Skye and had an adventure there....... but that is another story (involving skinny dipping in loch Corruisk!) :wink:

So that is it, my Glen Shiel, impromptu adventure....... what a life eh?? Roll on end of September when i start my 3 week summer holidays in Scotland....

Ooops, and here's the route....

Glen_Shiel.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

LittleMissMaria
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   

Re: Glen Shiel North Ridge (12 Munro extravaganza) Part 2

Postby KeithS » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:59 pm

:clap: Great stuff :clap:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:24 pm

Brilliant LMM!

The sequel did not disappoint at all. In fact like the Godfather, it was even better than the first one :lol: :lol:

But oh those Sisters....they're not a friendly bunch of girls at all!!! All those ups and downs- hardly a 'ridge' walk in my book :( :(

Please post more reports in the future, they are fantastic!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dunrig » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:03 pm

enjoyed reading about your trip - camping high is addictive
dunrig

Postby Early Riser » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Hi, A great report, I really enjoyed it along with your great photographs. Your last photo is of the shrub Broom, often just yellow and usually found beside Gorse. I'm looking forward to you Skye report.
Early Riser
Hill Bagger

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dalavil » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:38 am

Brilliant!
dalavil

Munros:279   Corbetts:221
Fionas:72   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:26

Postby soulminer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 am

A fine piece of reporting there 8) Some good photography to enhance the experience too 8) But be careful, you may get yourself a reputation that will be hard to live up to :lol:
Keep on camping, and allowing us to share. Cheers
soulminer

Postby old danensian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:23 pm

Well done - mountain determination and immersion at its best.

There's nothing like experiencing a solitary early morning on a top - and what better place to do it. I shared your enthusiasm for starting the day on Ciste Dhubh having managed to get a 5.00am sunrise from there last July after camping on the bealach beforehand.

Looking forward to reading about more of your multi-day trips.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:104
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:02 pm

fabulous, I'd like to do something similar soon! like tomorrow maybe? :lol:
I always use my down jacket as a pillow and it works very well. I fold the lower half inside out round the upper half and sleeves so it stays in a pillow shape. I slip it inside my fleece if I'm not wearing the fleece.
more, please!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:11 pm

Amusing read.

Epic stuff indeed, looks like the weather Gods helped out.

I've just read part 2 so now away to catch the 1st report.

You have a fair bit of stamina going on...well done on a fantastic trip.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:49 pm

Even better than report no 1.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:05 pm

That's an epic walk, I bet you ate and slept for days after that little lot :clap: :clap:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby trekker53 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I did those hills a couple of weeks ago bar the five sisters spread out over 3 days but having the luxury of a hostel (Invergarry ) to relax in afterwards. So congratulations on doing it in a one-er. The wild camping at night must have been amazing. Great photos. How do you beat that for your next report???????????
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland