walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Poolewe to Kinlochewe, can you help me!?!

Poolewe to Kinlochewe, can you help me!?!

Postby mazmacleod06 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello, I am walking from Poolewe to Kinlochewe, via Kernsery, Fionn Loch and Lochan Fada and then down by the Heights of Kinlochewe, but I have a wee problem, There is about 3 miles where there is no path between the two lochs!! Has anyone gone that way before and can tell me the easiest and lease steepest way?? Do I go towards Cairnmore and along Dubh Loch and up to Gorm Loch Mor or do I go up what looks like a glen on the other side of that hill?!?! I am not an experienced hill walker at all, in fact I have never been to the top of a mountain unless there was a cable car to get me there but in a moment of madness I had the idea to raise money for charity and as I was born in Kinlochewe it seemed like a good idea!! Hope someone can help me before the 6th of July as that is the day of my walk.
Thank you :wink:

Marianne MacLeod
mazmacleod06
Ambler

Re: Poolewe to Kinlochewe, can you help me!?!

Postby KeithS » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi, we walked from Poolewe to Kinlochewe (but took in A'Mhaighdean on the way) a couple of weeks ago. I am just about finished a walk report which will hopefully be posted in the next few days (if I can get my act together). Having said that, I will not be in a position to comment on the bit between Dubh Loch and Lochan Fada, as we didn't do that bit, but the rest of it might be useful.
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Essan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Hmmm, you're right. There's no path. I haven't walked it, although when I climbed A'Mhaighdean and An Ruadh Stac it was from a camp near the Fionn Loch and I did them via the ridge of Beinn Tharsuinn Chaol. But I wouldn't recommend that and would stick with either the narrow 'northern' glen direct from Polt Fraochain to Gleann Tulacha, or else take the Bealach Mheinnidh path and then the one contouring around to the Bealach a Chuirn, which would probably be 'least steep' (or at least, you'd have a reasonable path up the steepest climb). I wouldn't go via the Gorm Loch Mor.

Some pictures on Geograph may help you get an idea of the sort of terrain to expect:

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1390164

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/980268

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/507349

It's looks a good route. Be very interested to hear how you get on :)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Ian Burton » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Hello, I walked through here many years ago to camp & fish at Loch Fada. As I recall the route is fairly staightforward. Don't follow the path all the way to Dubh Loch but keep to the right & head for the obvious bealach beneath the cliffs of Ben Lair. There is a stalker's path that goes from Carnmore to Letterewe and you can follow this for a bit (heading towards Letterewe) before going left (South East) below the cliffs of Ben Mheinnidh & Ben Lair. The 1:25,000 OS map shows a path here going up to the bealach, but I do not recall finding it.

Best of luck.

Ian
Ian Burton
Munro compleatist

Munros:122   Corbetts:8
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion