walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munros in the Mist - Three days in Killin

Munros in the Mist - Three days in Killin

Postby colgregg » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Corranaich, Meall nan Tarmachan, Schiehallion

Date walked: 21/06/2012

Distance: 30.5 km

Ascent: 2612m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

N.B. Distance - ascent are combined totals for the walks I did over the three days.

I'd love to have been writing free flowing trip reports raving over the fantastic views I had on my three day (5 Munro) trip to Killin this week but I can't as there's only so much you can write about on the topic of mist and rain.
Day 1 (Thurs): Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Corraniach. Misty, wet and windy throughout from the top of the zigzag path on Beinn Ghlas. Having bagged Ben Lawers I had Intended to walk over to An Stuc and headed down the path. I think I was around Creag an Fhithich but wasn't going to further without being able to see the path in front of me so made an about turn went back over Lawers and cut across to the summit of Meall Corraniach. By the time I got down to the road I was so wet that I walked onto the dam and sheltered under the towers in the hope of drying off a bit.
Day 2 (Fri): Schiehallion from Forest of Brae. Pleasant weather until start of the rough walk along summit ridge then cloud. Yippee, this stuff wasn't getting me wet though!!! Infrequent views when cloud lifted on occasions Superb rocky summit (definitely one to linger on on a sunny day) and all in all a pleasant stroll but narked to see mountains to the North cloud free on way down.
Day 3 (Sat): Meall nan Tarmachan. Looked potentially quite good weather on setting off but that all changed once the 923m point was reached From hereon it threw horizontal rain hitting me all the way to the summit. I found a sheltered bowl below the summit and hung around for a while in the hope it might clear out as I had planned on doing the full round. It never did and I paid for my futile loitering by being battered by the strongest winds I'd ever experienced along with ever worsening rain. With hindsight I wish I'd driven straight back here from yesterday's walk and bagged it then.It would have made a great afternoon/evening stroll as there wasn't a cloud to be seen. Doubly narked once out of the clouds to see Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn) and hills to the South totally cloud free. Still I managed to double my Munro tally (not difficult really, given that I'd only done five before) coupled with a bit of well deserved "me time" and I'm already putting together a plan for my next visit over the border.

A small selection of pics though:
killin 016.JPG
Beinn Ghlas from Lawers car park

killin 033.JPG
Ben Lawers summit.

killin 038.JPG
Meall Corraniach's North ridge from the summit.

killin 046.JPG
Why couldn't Tarmachan have been like this on Saturday

killin 077.JPG
The Summit of Schiehallion.

killin 091.JPG
The "touristy bit"- The impressive Falls of Dochart in flood.

killin 104.JPG
Under Cloud- Meall Corraniach (left) and Beinn Ghlas (right) and the dam of Lochan na lairige from the path to Meall nan Tarmachan.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Munros in the Mist - Three days in Killin

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Hard lines with the weather CG. It's allways good to be out however, and I'm sure the mountain gods will pay you back in the future with some glorious conditions another time.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby monty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:51 pm

Well done on what is turning out to be a strange summer. At least you got a couple of nice photos. :D Whats that song, oh yes "things can only get better ........." :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby colgregg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:43 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:Hard lines with the weather CG. It's allways good to be out however, and I'm sure the mountain gods will pay you back in the future with some glorious conditions another time.

It was good just being there.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Colin, look on the bright side, at least you got out and did some walking :D

Next time, try going in the summer :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby colgregg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:51 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Colin, look on the bright side, at least you got out and did some walking :D

Next time, try going in the summer :lol: :lol:

Ah that's the trick is it!! so that will be October time then. Some one has just posted a Lawers walk done yesterday in clear weather. Typical. Never mind it's set the seed and I'm now looking to do more.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 am

Well Done CG :clap:
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland