walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tarmachan Ridge

Tarmachan Ridge

Postby ospreysfan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Garbh

Date walked: 31/10/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Left the visitor's centre at about 10.30am, nice but long walk in along the farm trcack running underneath and to the south of the ridge line. Weather was fine at setting out but as got closer to the emd of the ridge, where I made my ascent, south of coire fionn-lairige the cloud cover dropped lower, wind came up and started raining heavily. Bit of a slog up the grass slope between the two rock formations and then another slog up on to the ridge proper.

Liked the way the path alternated between following the crest and taking you close up to the top of the cliffs. In spite of the weather there were some really nice views. The walk around the corries to beinn nan eachan seemed to take an eternity as the weather was by now pretty crap. Had to stop a few times between here and the slab at meall garbh to keep out of the wind for a bit.

The slab wasnt half as bad as I had expected and after several photos made it easily up to the top. Meal Garbh is by far more an interesting stretch than the last leg up tarmachan itself which was pretty boring. Cant believe I would have bottled this only 6 months ago it really is no big deal at all but is a great circuit to do.
ospreysfan
Mountaineer

Munros:86   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland