walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Couple of questions regarding boots

Couple of questions regarding boots

Postby Greg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:02 pm

I have ruined the cheap waterproof boots that I bought recently as a lot of water had got inside them one day and the waterproofing is now destroyed. Consequently I have decided to invest in some that are much better quality overall and have been looking at a pair of Brasher Hillwalkers. I am a size 11 in trainers etc but should I be going half a size up to account for thicker socks etc? I have found a pair of 11.5's on Uttings Outdoor for £79.99 which is a very good deal and would like to ask here before pulling the trigger.

Also, is Uttings okay to deal with? I am new to all of this so am unsure.

Cheers,

G
Greg
Mountaineer

Re: Couple of questions regarding boots

Postby Meatball » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Go to a shop and try stuff on...
Buy the ones that feel comfortable and supportive.
I like scarpa but have recently tried Salomon.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gythral » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Go to lots of shops, late in the afternoon, and try every different pair you can find and walk around the shop, up and down steps and slopes. If the shop cant provide this go elsewhere!

Only after trying them buy a pair. Unless you are lucky (or are buying a direct replacement), boots vary too much in length, toe width and height, ankle shape etc. to just say I'll have size x in model y!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I'd echo Gythral - also, for my most recent two pairs and my wife's boots, all three shops allowed us to buy, take home and wear in the house allowing us to take them back and change them if we found them not to be suitable. Granted wearing the in the house isn't the same as outside but it was useful. (Tiso, Nevisport and Cotswold)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:13 am

As others have said allways try before you buy, thats what i did when i bought Meindls recently but i didn'y buy from the shop as they would not budge on the price. I bought two pairs, one for me and one for my girlfriend online saving 40 quid. As for the Brashers, personally i would not recommend them as i have a pair and find them to have little grip, two of my walking companions also have them and they are of the same opinion.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby david451 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:55 am

Greg wrote:I have ruined the cheap waterproof boots that I bought recently as a lot of water had got inside them one day and the waterproofing is now destroyed. Consequently I have decided to invest in some that are much better quality overall and have been looking at a pair of Brasher Hillwalkers. I am a size 11 in trainers etc but should I be going half a size up to account for thicker socks etc? I have found a pair of 11.5's on Uttings Outdoor for £79.99 which is a very good deal and would like to ask here before pulling the trigger.

Also, is Uttings okay to deal with? I am new to all of this so am unsure.

Cheers,

G

I have a pair of brashers, in the past I have had two pairs of bergaus and both failed and let in water. The brashers are a fairly sturdy boot and I personally feel that they provide more protection than the canvas ones. My feet have been dry in all weathers and that for me is one of the most important points, they seem to be wearing quit well and I might even put new soles on them when they wear out .

The polish wears off quite quickly walking in the heather etc and certainly you need to apply a good quality polish to them to keep the leather good, but I personally love them, and I'm a size 9 and bought that size and they fit me perfect.

Made by clarks so I'm told.
david451

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:As others have said allways try before you buy, thats what i did when i bought Meindls recently but i didn'y buy from the shop as they would not budge on the price. I bought two pairs, one for me and one for my girlfriend online saving 40 quid. As for the Brashers, personally i would not recommend them as i have a pair and find them to have little grip, two of my walking companions also have them and they are of the same opinion.

the trouble with that is that the online shops have much smaller overheads than the real live shops, so if everybody did this the shops would all close (as some of them are doing already), and then where would you go to try your boots on?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 pm

mrssanta wrote:
Johnny Corbett wrote:As others have said allways try before you buy, thats what i did when i bought Meindls recently but i didn'y buy from the shop as they would not budge on the price. I bought two pairs, one for me and one for my girlfriend online saving 40 quid. As for the Brashers, personally i would not recommend them as i have a pair and find them to have little grip, two of my walking companions also have them and they are of the same opinion.

the trouble with that is that the online shops have much smaller overheads than the real live shops, so if everybody did this the shops would all close (as some of them are doing already), and then where would you go to try your boots on?

Good point mrssanta, though i did go to go outdoors and they have a price match policy but only price match if it's the exact same boot including colour, size and probably bar code number and you have to be able to get the boots online at the exact same time as you're in go outdoors if that makes sense. :? A lot of hassle i thought.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby PaulD » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Personally I wouldnt buy boots online, i'd go to a good shop and have them fitted and I dont mean a shop were your just shown the boots on a shelf and told to try them on and hand over your card. Somewhere where they will measure your feet, maybe even watch how you walk in and out of boots, its worth the effort, but then ive got odd shaped feet and wasted money on two pairs of cheapish boots before having them fitted properly.

I got my pair and wifes from George Fisher in Keswick, it was worth making a special day trip to get a pair that are comfortable.
PaulD
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:54
Wainwrights:98   

Postby Benjaminnevis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Aye have brasher chamba gtx size 7 same size as ma normal shoes or trainers so i don't think you would require a half size bigger.
i found the brashers to be great boots and a quick wipe we a damp cloth and a squirt of nikwax leather conditioner will keep em water proof.How ever they do not have a lot of protection in the toe area and will get beaten up if you are on rocky summits.

i also picked up a pair of mammut scout gtx on a sale to try out which are velour nubuk leather with rubber round the toe area and am going to stick we this type of boot on the munros as they do not get so hacked up we the rocks.have also been out in lashing rain and they kept the water out.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Echoing what others have said, I'd never buy boots I hadn't tried on. The most comfortable boots I've ever had were a pair of Brasher Hillmaster GTXs (bought in a shop after trying on everything they had). Unfortunately though they recently changed the design and they don't fit me any more - I only found this out by trying them on in the shop and walking around in them for a few minutes.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk