walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into the gloom,and out again-repeat !

Into the gloom,and out again-repeat !

Postby soulminer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:14 pm

Route description: Beinn Udlaidh and Beinn Bhreac-liath, Glen Orchy

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac-liath, Beinn Udlaidh

Date walked: 12/07/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A weather window at last :clap: Left early and decided on this pair in Glen Orchy. They had been highly recommended by Doogz, Anne and Molly :lol: The drive up was giving rise to a degree of excitement as the sky was a lovely shade of blue.Past Inveruglas the cloud was becoming noticable further up the road.. Will I stick with the plan, or about turn and do Beinn Dubh or Ben Vane? No, just stick with the plan. The cloud was pretty low by the time Tyndrum was reached,and not much higher as I turned down Glen Orchy.
Parked up just beyond the small stone bridge passed the white cottage at Invergaunan.walked back up to the gate and headed for the hillside.It was going to be a wet event today, spots of rain and wet underfoot as well- lovely :lol: To my surprise blue sky was beginning to make an appearance,and the clouds were rising and swirling about. Could be better than I thought.

IMGP1044 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

This is more like it

IMGP1048 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Looking good 8)

IMGP1049 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Continuing upwards with the clouds seeming to stream over head then disappear as quick as they came- a strange day -bright on minute,dull the next :? Over a couple of rises and spotted some deer, a welcome change from the plethora of sheep bouncing all over the hillside.

IMGP1051 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Out of the gloom again as I reached the flatter section of the walk, some fine views to be had up here.

Beinn Dorain

IMGP1054 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Beinn Udlaidh

IMGP1056 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A more cloud- ravaged Dorain

IMGP1057 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Some foreground interest

IMGP1058 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Carried on to the summit,but didn't stop. Made my way towards the drop down to the bealach. A wee tad slippy around here :)

A view across to Lui etc- in mist

IMGP1060 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Out of the mist

IMGP1062 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A look across to the impressive corrie of Beinn Udlaidh

IMGP1063 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Made it down to the bealach without to many mishaps. No surprise me telling you it was a quagmire- clod hopping required. Climbed over a seemingly new fence-more about this later. Opted for a rising traverse towards the summit.

Spotted the potential for a photo

IMGP1067 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

The cloud was back again ,drifting over the summit pretty quickly though. Had a small refreshment breakabout half way up- the first one today :)

Down the Bridge of Orchy side- cloud departing quickly

IMGP1068 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Towards Tyndrum

IMGP1069 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Just under the summit there was some strange detritis

IMGP1071 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Some more on the summit itself

IMGP1072 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Not a day for sitting about,so headed off towards the unusual White Quartz spine as my route of choice for descent. some other unusual rock formations- which I am sure a geologist may explain,if one reads this report :lol:

Zoom shot

IMGP1078 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Wandered down the side of the Quartz 'ridge' heading for the forest edge and the path down beside the burn.

Part of the 'ridge'

IMGP1080 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

A little further down i came across the same new fence I had climbed at the bealach.I followed it till it met the old forest fence. Here there was a large 'gate' of sorts, with a rope tie to secure it.

IMGP1083 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

Passed through the gate, and headed towards a bulldozed path- which seemed new as well. Looks like they are going to plant some more pines !

The new path

IMGP1085 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

I walked along the path passed a quadbike belonging to some workers I had seen on the hillside earlier.The path eventually lead me to the gate where I had parked the car, result :lol:
Last photo of the day

Large insect, just about life-sized

IMGP1090 by BoydBlair, on Flickr.
Last edited by soulminer on Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soulminer

Re: Into the gloom,and out again-repeat !

Postby Stuart Angus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm

A Bee on acid?!!! :lol: ...............or something plastic out a Christmas cracker :lol:
Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

Postby soulminer » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Sounded like a bloody helicopter when it buzzed passed me :lol:
soulminer

Postby bobble_hat_kenny » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 pm

Lovely photos, and it looks like you got the best of a right dodgy week's weather :D .
Thon's some dragonfly, however: I'd have been frightened that it might make off with my pieces :wtf: .
bobble_hat_kenny
Mountaineer

Munros:238   Corbetts:43
Fionas:43   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:2

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:07 pm

Lovely pictures, nice to see the cloud cover breaking... Weather has been so depressing lately!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby soulminer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm

bobble_hat_kenny wrote
and it looks like you got the best of a right dodgy week's weather

BlackPanther wrote
Weather has been so depressing lately!

I just had to get out before the hot bath, the razor blade and the Joy Division album were brought into play :shock: :lol: :lol:
soulminer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland