walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers

Postby Nellydean » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 12/07/2012

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 968m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munro #4 & #5
We set off on our short break to Perthshire, fully expecting to need full wet weather gear, and getting photos at the top that could have been taken anywhere, but instead hubby came back with sun burn. We landed so lucky I am well chuffed. The walk up through the nature trail is very pleasant, must read more books about plants so I have even a vague idea what I was looking at, or perhaps look a little closer at the start for a leaflet or something as there were numbers posts, which I am sure would have helped.
A very easy, great path for the first 1/2 hour, with great views down over Loch Tay. Found the very small rocky steps further up a little annoying, prefer to be able to get my feet well planted, glad it wasnt wet, think they might get a bit slippy, but the National Trust are doing a great job in maintaining the path.
As this is the first one we have tried that involved 2 in 1 day stopped for sandwiches at summit of Beinn Ghlas to make sure we were certain that completing the 2 was a good idea, but with the weather as good as it was we would have been stupid not to take advantage. Enjoyed the section of downhill between the 2, then after a few minutes of climbing on Ben Lawers, I did question if we had done the right thing, but was really surprised at how quickly we were at the top of Ben Lawers and that we were getting a view for miles.
Took the path round the North side of Beinn Ghlas back down and glad we did, no little tiny steps to negotiate, seemed a far easier walk back.
Enjoyed this one.
Nellydean

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:35   
Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland