walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

cold hands whilst walking

cold hands whilst walking

Postby kfrweaving » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Last week when out walking i developed cold hands. It was my longest walk and i was carrying my backback 35lt. Throughout the rucksack felt fine, but my hands were cold. They weren't sore, just cold. The weather certainly wasn't cold. Will be taking a thin pair of gloves with me next time. Is it simply down to circulation being cut off by straps of the rucksack? I had the straps adjusted ok. I have experienced this before, but not for as long. It just felt very strange with the rest of me feeling rather hot because of the heat.
Anyone else experienced this?
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Re: cold hands whilst walking

Postby neilwood » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Are you sure the backpack was properly adjusted?

Reason I ask is the shoulder straps for the pack shouldn't be bearing too much of the weight if a pack is worn properly. It should be the waist belt that carries the most weight (80+%)
neilwood
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby david451 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:31 pm

kfrweaving wrote:Last week when out walking i developed cold hands. It was my longest walk and i was carrying my backback 35lt. Throughout the rucksack felt fine, but my hands were cold. They weren't sore, just cold. The weather certainly wasn't cold. Will be taking a thin pair of gloves with me next time. Is it simply down to circulation being cut off by straps of the rucksack? I had the straps adjusted ok. I have experienced this before, but not for as long. It just felt very strange with the rest of me feeling rather hot because of the heat.
Anyone else experienced this?

If you shut off your circulation then your hands can get cold but once the circulation is resumed you usually get tingling in your fingers.

I have arthritis in my spine with osteophites on my neck area, "boney growths", when walking this neck ailment can cause pain down into my lat muscles but strangely it makes my thumbs feel cold, painfully so in the cold. Gloves make little difference because its caused by nerve inpingement.
david451

Postby basscadet » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:01 pm

I think I know the sensation you mean.. I've had it both with a pack and without,,
I thought it was from swinging your arms too much while walking, making the blood flow poor? I dont get it if I use my poles :)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby kfrweaving » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the comments people,

i will readjust the straps of my bag to see if it makes a difference. :)
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby meangarry » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:35 pm

For me when I walk I get really warm hands. So warm that I make a point of holding my shoulder straps to let the blood flow back out of them. When I clench my fist they feel pressured and tight. I reckon its the swinging action and physical exertion that raises my heart rate and fills my hands with blood. Dunno if this helps you but these are my experiences. :)
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Postby yellowbelly » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

meangarry wrote:For me when I walk I get really warm hands. So warm that I make a point of holding my shoulder straps to let the blood flow back out of them. When I clench my fist they feel pressured and tight. I reckon its the swinging action and physical exertion that raises my heart rate and fills my hands with blood. Dunno if this helps you but these are my experiences. :)

What you describe could be down to dehydration. We call it "sausage fingers", and it sure is painful. :(
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Chrisabelle » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Thats what happens to me too, never thought it could be dehydration though, I'm usually pretty good at keeping hydrated. "Sausage Fingers" :lol: :lol:
Chrisabelle
Bird-watcher

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Chrisabelle wrote:Thats what happens to me too, never thought it could be dehydration though, I'm usually pretty good at keeping hydrated. "Sausage Fingers" :lol: :lol:

I don't think it is due to dehydration. I think that meangarry's explanation is correct. it happens more in hot weather when you are trying to get rid of more heat so blood flow to your extremities is more. of course in hot weather you are more likely to dehydrate but that's different. I get swollen fingers too but less if I use poles as my hands are higher up I suppose.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:28 am

Åhem...

prosthetic arm.jpg
Prøsthetic årm - nø møre "såusåge fingers" blues
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby kfrweaving » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:19 am

thanks for that Caberfeidh :lol:

sausage fingers?! that's a good one.
I was drinking plenty of water - although next time i am going to take more than 1ltr. Have got one of these
water bags and am going to try these again instead of a plastic bottle.
Christabelle, if you see me flapping my arms about and clenching and unclenching my fists
i will not have taken a seizure!
Thanks for the advice folks! :)
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk