walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Newburgh - Newport on Tay

Newburgh - Newport on Tay

Postby jackiemac » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:55 pm

Date walked: 18/07/2012

Time taken: 5.25 hours

Distance: 25 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I really enjoy walking along the Fife Coastal Path. Thought I'd try the relatively new section from Newburgh to Newport-on-Tay a couple of days ago. I was disappointed as it's more of a woodland walk. For long periods, I couldn't see the coast after being directed inland just after leaving Newburgh. What really scunnered me though, was the flies. It wasn't until I reached Balmerino after walking for 3hrs 40 minutes that I could stop for something to eat because there were no flies next to the water.
I defo won't be walking that section again. On what was a good day as far as the weather goes (and a public holiday too), I never passed anyone between Newburgh & Balmerino so it would appear that others don't fancy it either. Some parts are fairly overgrown which again suggests it doesn't see much traffic. My favourite remains the stretch from Lower Largo to Anstruther although I've still to do Kincardine to Inverkeithing.
jackiemac
Mountaineer

Re: Newburgh - Newport on Tay

Postby jackiemac » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:36 am

I used the £7.50 Dayrider ticket to get 36 from Kingdom Centre in Glenrothes to Newburgh. At Newport, I caught the X54 back to G/R. Not sure if there's a direct link between Newburgh & Newport.
jackiemac
Mountaineer

Postby kfrweaving » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:31 am

I used live in that area and quite often am back up there seeing my parents. Getting a direct bus to Newburgh from Newport or Wormit is impossible - unless they have changed the bus times, which is unlikely. Moffat & Williamson used to do a direct bus i'm sure. I'm afraid you have get connections elsewhere now. There are various walks in the area that are good. From the fields at the back of Wormit you can see across to St Andrews (on a clear day!) and sometimes when the Grampians have snow on them you can see these inbetween the Sidlaws. Getting an image of that at sunset is gorgeous! It isn't difficult to see half way down Fife as it is a pretty small region but full of great walks.
The East Neuk is lovely and well walked, but west of Newburgh paths are overgrown and are not as popular as other areas in Fife. It is a shame as the landscape around that area of the Tay is beautiful. There are some amazing sunsets and sunrises there. I admit i haven't done walks further west of Wormit for some years now as i usually have walked along to Tayport and sometimes across the bridge to Dundee. So must get more walks done next time i'm back up.
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby kfrweaving » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:33 am

but must add that i haven't seen the Grampians with snow on them last time i was in Fife which was a few weeks ago. It is just a lovely sight seeing snow capped mountains inbetween the Sidlaws and with the river. It is a landscape that i miss.
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland