walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Kintail Wildlife - insects, birds and mammals

Kintail Wildlife - insects, birds and mammals

Postby matt0129081 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 pm

My girlfriend and I planned this trip to Glenelg to walk several of the Munro's in the area, but my inability to go any length of time without a major footballing injury ruined these plans. This time four weeks prior to the trip I managed to tear my medial meniscus in my left knee. I managed to get off crutches before the trip, but my atrophied muscles were in no fit state for hillwalking. I did manage a four mile walk (ill-advisedly) and limped back most of the way to the car. However, all the week-long trip was still great and we gorged on seafood and also saw some great wildlife (including a stag and a golden eagle that I was unable to get a picture of). Here are some of the animals I did see:

Does anyone know what kind of insect this is? It was about an inch long and I think may be a hover fly species because I cannot see a stinger.
DSCF4021.JPG

One of my favourite sea birds
Black Guillemot.JPG

A ring ouzel (bit blurry because of the zoom)
DSCF4131.JPG
Ring Ouzel

A (small) pearl bordered fritilliary. I think this is the small species because of the time of year (based on UK butterflies.co.uk)
DSCF4124.JPG

A meadow brown (I think)
DSCF4134.JPG
Meadow Brown

Golden ringed dragonfly. There were loads of these flitting about.
Gold ringed dragonfly.JPG
Dragonfly

On a trip on the Seaprobe Atlantis from Kyle of Localsh we saw a great many seals.
DSCF4051.JPG

harbour seals.JPG

I was very sad to be leaving and especially with a 6am start to the drive. But then as we drove to Glenelg along the coast I caught something out of the corner of my eye. There right close in the shallows, no more than 20ft away, there was an otter hunting. There was no sound except the otter splashing and no breeze (even the midges were not noticed). I cannot describe it, but to say it was captivating and we watched for upwards of 10minutes - just wow. (I wish the pictures did this justice).

DSCF4159.JPG

DSCF4161.JPG

DSCF4162.JPG

DSCF4163.JPG

DSCF4166.JPG

An amazing way to end a great week.
matt0129081

Munros:149   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:50   

Re: Kintail Wildlife - insects, birds and mammals

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:10 pm

great pics of the otter ..what a treat! :) thanks for sharing them :) ..still yet to see one!
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:81   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:24 am

matt0129081 wrote:I think may be a hover fly species

Yes it is å høver fly, the big eyes ånd single, brøåd wings give it åwåy.

Very nice phøtøs. I knøw whåt yøu meån åbøut sitting wåtching ån øtter being mesmerising; I ønce gøt båd sunburn ånd ulceråted cørneås frøm wåtching ån øtter før åges øn å sunny dåy. The sun reflected øff the wåter håd sunburnt my eyebålls. :shock: Ålwåys weår shådes ånd sunscreen!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby eric0803 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Thanks for these pics. I love the Glenelg area. We saw an otter in the garden of the cottage that we stayed in Glenelg in April. Not quick enough to get photos of otter but a couple of a pine marten which was also in the garden (see post polecat and deer post). :)
eric0803
Mountaineer

Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:117   

Postby Lenore » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:06 am

What a lucky encounter! Haven't ever seen one yet in the wild. Glad you did :-)
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings