walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Horrend-OSS

Horrend-OSS

Postby pigeon » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Oss

Date walked: 23/07/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 1149m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast for today was dodgy to say the least but with time to kill before a nightshift i was keen to get oot and aboot so opted for ben oss which we had missed out on a trip last winter.This probably was not one of my better plans as it pelted down right from the start and the wind was fierce at times,easily the worst conditions i've came across in the summer :crazy: Headed out towards Cononish farm first and then up the steep grass slopes near Creag Bhocan as i didn't fancy the boggy path through the woods twice in one day.Once i got up to around Coire Buidhe i was thinking of bailing out ,i was soaked and the wind was pretty strong,soldiered on though and once round near Loch Oss the wind died a bit,think i was getting a bit of shelter from the hill.On and up to the top in about 3 hours,no point hanging about so i headed down on on through the dreaded woods.Met one young guy in the jungle here,spoke briefly and continued on through the bogs,overflowing streams,over grown bushes and slippy tree roots to the rickety bridge,the young guy had warned me about this and it definatly is in worse condition than the last time i crossed it,quite a few slats broken and missing so take care on it,especially with the burn flowing so rapidly underneath.Back to the car in 5 and a half hours ,soaked and muddy but kind of enjoyed it somehow :lol: :lol: Glad to get this hill done at last.Not many photos of this one due to damp camera syndrome :D
Ben Oss 001.JPG
Ben Oss 003.JPG
Back down
Ben Oss 005.JPG
Ben Lui in the clouds
Ben Oss 007.JPG
Loch Oss
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ben Oss 010.JPG
Slighty damp on Ben Oss
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: Horrend-OSS

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Well done for sticking with it on a miserable day . I must pay Oss and Dubhcraig a visit soon , looks like up and down via Cononish might be the way to go . Is there a wee footbridge at the farm ?
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Oh dear, camera in the drying cupboard is it. Horrible horrible day today, well done for getting a hill in. :clap:
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby hazewell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:58 pm

well done Dave nothing will stop u...hopefully in the months ahead ill be joining u on yer travels...the first of many ( easy ones first please ) xx :clap: :wink:
hazewell
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby PeteR » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:33 pm

A real shame pigeon , as these are good hills (if you can get over the bogfest) :( But well done for getting out :D My day on Oss was a glorious winters day last year when I did this one with its neighbour :D

You're fair cracking through the hills this year :D Seems an age since I last got out on a good long walk. It's been a couple of short walks recently. It'll be a shock to my system when I do eventually get out on a long trek. Let's just hope this weather improves though :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby old danensian » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Respect for getting out and sticking with it today - I stuck with decorating the utility room and watching the standing water gradually encroach across the lawn.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:10 pm

Liking the last photo, it's almost like viewing the picture through one of those warped mirror in a Hall of Mirrors. Well done on sticking with it, think I'll wait for a sunny day to do these ones though!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 pm

Respect pigeon! That's what you call "grinding out a result"! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Frigate » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Was that carried out through the insulation of last nights curry, know I was pretty hot this morning.
Good one.
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby electricfly » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:12 am

Gavin99 wrote:Well done for sticking with it on a miserable day . I must pay Oss and Dubhcraig a visit soon , looks like up and down via Cononish might be the way to go . Is there a wee footbridge at the farm ?

Yes Gavin, there's a good wide bridge right before the farm buildings.

Was up there last Sunday as my other half needed to do Oss and Dubhchraig, so thought we may as well do Lui while we were there. We crossed the river easily at the far end of the Landrover track and used the farm bridge on the way off. Similar weather conditions to yours Pigeon. Constant rain all the way and we never met another soul en route. :?
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:55 am

electricfly wrote:Yes Gavin, there's a good wide bridge right before the farm buildings.

If you go this way, there is an alternative to going over the shoulder of Dubhcraig: cross the bridge and follow the S bank of the river for about a mile, until you cross the burn which comes down a diagonal ravine from Coire Cruinn. Follow the W side of this ravine up into Coire Cruinn, and then out onto the spur on its R, at a little flat area, obvious from the approach in good weather. Now follow the R edge of the Coire (over some bouldery bits) to meet the main ridge at the little col between Beinn Oss and its 941m top.

If descending off Dubhcraig, you can avoid the bog by keeping on the SE side of the Allt Coire Dubhcraig: pick up the forestry track which ends at NN319272, and follow this all the way back: it adds an extra 3km but it is very fast walking compared to the boggy bits!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby iainwatson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 am

good effort,especially in conditions most wouldnt walk to the shops in!

i'm with you.......sod the weather and get out there,i still enjoy walks in that kind of weather :shock: :lol:
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Gavin99 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for the info Electricfly,
Jmarkb , that looks a nice route , I'll give it a go when I get around to these , cheers :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:78   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Well done my man. great effort. As others have said sometimes you just need to get it done. Just like me in 28 degrees C & clear blue sky today. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pigeon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Cheers for the comments folks just when you thought this summer couldn't get any worse :(
jonny616 wrote:Well done my man. great effort. As others have said sometimes you just need to get it done. Just like me in 28 degrees C & clear blue sky today. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rub it in why don't ye :lol: :lol:
Frigate wrote:Was that carried out through the insulation of last nights curry, know I was pretty hot this morning.
Good one.
A quick stop at Crianlarich was required on the way up Kev :lol:
old danensian wrote:Respect for getting out and sticking with it today - I stuck with decorating the utility room and watching the standing water gradually encroach across the lawn.

OD
Might have been a grim day OD but still beat decorating :D
PeteR wrote:A real shame pigeon , as these are good hills (if you can get over the bogfest) :( But well done for getting out :D My day on Oss was a glorious winters day last year when I did this one with its neighbour :D

You're fair cracking through the hills this year :D Seems an age since I last got out on a good long walk. It's been a couple of short walks recently. It'll be a shock to my system when I do eventually get out on a long trek. Let's just hope this weather improves though :shock:
Aye looking to get away someplace this weekend pete so fingers crossed :thumbup:
hills wrote:Oh dear, camera in the drying cupboard is it. Horrible horrible day today, well done for getting a hill in. :clap:
Yep,camera and eveything else dangling in the drying cupboard :lol:
Gavin99 wrote:Well done for sticking with it on a miserable day . I must pay Oss and Dubhcraig a visit soon , looks like up and down via Cononish might be the way to go . Is there a wee footbridge at the farm ?
Cheers gavin,did ben dubhcraig in the winter up through the woods and it was not so bad when iced up,slippy on the dodgy bridge though :crazy: The bridge at the farm is fine though :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:128
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland