walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr nan Gillean - JC's 1st Round Complete!!

Sgurr nan Gillean - JC's 1st Round Complete!!

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:19 pm

Route description: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 09/06/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 985m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our final hill after a hectic week (for JC and Andy anyway, I only arrived for yesterdays (long walk) and our fellow walker Donnie's daughter's wedding we were all invited to.

We travelled up from the Ledgowan bunkhouse and parked up at the Sligachan Hotel to commence our final Munro of this trip (and JC's final Munro). It was a beautiful morning and we were looking forward to this hill and the subsequent festivities in a large marquee at Loch Storr.

We set off around 10am and enjoyed the long walk in via an excellent and well used path. When we finally reached the wide scree gulley we carried on our walk up this very loose and difficult terrain and missed the small cairn taking you up the tourist route and we headed up as far as we could to the top of the gulley.

On reaching this point, JC went first and climbed up over a large slab and skirted round the back and up onto a ledge. I scrambled up a slightly different section and both JC and I on meeting on the ledge agreed that neither route was recommended to go back down!

Andrew, at this point decided he would head back and wait for us at the car (he had done this hill before).

JC and I navigated our way up to the summit after about 40 minutes and enjoyed the (very small but welcomed) summit. We had to decide best route back down and we quickly found the tourist path and headed back down to the scree gulley.

We had left our bags at the point of scrambling so had to head back up to this point to collect our bags and head back down.

The views were spectacular and I was walking out with a very happy walker (JC) who has now bagged all the Munros.

On meeting Andy back at the Slig, we enjoyed some grub and some Euro 2012 football before headed back to our digs in Portree to get ready to join day 3 of a 4 day wedding. Late night and a joint celebration was had by all.

Congratulations to JC and to J&S on their wedding!

Skye 002.JPG
Andrew & JC on our walk in
Skye 005.JPG
Local Wildlife!
Skye 006.JPG
Over towards Bla Bheinn
Skye 007.JPG
Back up towards Sligachan and Portree
Skye 009.JPG
JC waiting for us as usual on the scree slope!
Skye 010.JPG
Skye 013.JPG
At the summit cairn
Skye 014.JPG
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Sgurr nan Gillean - JC's 1st Round Complete!!

Postby scoob999 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Well done on compleating jc :clap: :clap: :clap:
Good one to finish on :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Sgurr nan Gillean - JC's 1st Round Complete!!

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:22 pm

well done JC :clap:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland