walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More & Stob Binnein reccy run.

Ben More & Stob Binnein reccy run.

Postby mamoset » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:23 am

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 27/07/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 1264m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It's been nearly four years since we climbed a Munro, so we decided to do a one-day reccy to see how long it would take to drive up and back, with a reasonably hard walk in between. (Work commitments and very unpredictable weather make it like this :( ) Set off at 4 am and headed, half full of hope ( weather had changed again) for Benmore to do Ben More and Stob Binnein. It was a lovely morning over the borders as the sunrise proved.
Ben More 007.JPG
Sunrise over Cheviot.
We would have made Benmore Farm in really good time if it wasn't for all the roadworks, but still, we were ready for the off by 8.30. Unfortunatley, the summits were cloud covered, so we decided to go round into Benmore Glen and climb Stob Binnein first. We took the good path into Benmore Glen and headed towards the bealach at its head.
Ben More 019.JPG
Cloud covered Cruach Ardrain lower tops.
Our spirits were lifted by the sight of a Golden Eagle effortlessly soaring across the Glen, heading for Ben More.
Ben More 024.JPG
Best pic of Golden Eagle.
Not the best pic i know :? . We got our first glimpse of Stob Binnein summit and we hoped that the cloud would continue to go up over :)
Ben More 028.JPG
Stob Binnein summit poking through.
Well, it didn't and as we don't know this route so well, we made the decision to head straight up from the Glen to the Bealach-eadar-dha Beinn. We figured there would be good pathways there, so easy to navigate regardless of clag :shock: We hit the cloud base around 750m and plodded onto the summit, where we afforded no views whatsoever :lol:
Ben More 033.JPG
Stob Binnein summit cairn.
Trying to waste a bit of time, we stopped for a bit of lunch, before heading back to the bealach and ascending Ben More, all the while stuck in clag :(
Ben More 034.JPG
Ben More trig and summit cairn.
I know these are two of the Top 20, but I was still surprised at the amount of people we encountered throughout this walk. One fellow, Kenny from Dunfermline Walking Cl;ub joined us for most of this walk, top bloke he was too :clap: After a short break on Ben More, we headed, i think, straight off the North side, down a decent, if very steep, path and headed back to the car. Such is our luck, that halfway down the cloud decided to sod off and leave all the tops nice and clear :evil: and it became really warm. The views opened up around us, which was better than nothing I suppose :crazy:
Ben More 043.JPG
Ben Challum ( I think) appears out of the cloud.
We were back at the car in just over an hour, pleased we'd done it, bit miffed at the weather, but you can't have it all ways I guess :lol:
Ben More 059.JPG
Creag Liaragan reflected in Loch Iubhair.
Ben More 065.JPG
Creag Liaragan reflected in Loch Iubhair again.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Ben More & Stob Binnein reccy run.

Postby paulranby1 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Great photo's mate
paulranby1

Re: Ben More & Stob Binnein reccy run.

Postby joedugsmith » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Great photos,met you today on Ben vorlich :)
joedugsmith
Mountaineer

Munros:235   Corbetts:133
Fionas:78   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:120   
Islands:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland