walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A fond farewell in the Devil's Kitchen

A fond farewell in the Devil's Kitchen

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Date walked: 21/07/2012

Time taken: 3

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 470m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our soaking on Snowdon walking wasn’t really an option on Friday as we had no dry kit. This was a good job as a puncture saw us stranded in Bala temporarily. Once on the road again we had a drive down to Aberdovey and spent a bit of time on the beach.

IMG_0176.JPG
Beach at Aberdovey

Saturday was our travelling day to the Lakes but given it was a fine forecast we decided we couldn’t leave Snowdonia without one last wander.

IMG_0184.JPG
View from the cottage garden

IMG_0195.JPG
Sunset from cottage garden

IMG_0200.JPG
Sunset over Foel Goch

Having not yet visited the Ogwen Valley we decided to walk up through the Devils Kitchen to Llyn y cwn.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The walk starts on a fine path giving views up to the awesome tryfan before it reaches Llyn Idwal set in the magnificent Cwm Idawl. This is said to be one of the finest hanging valleys in Wales and it’s easy to see why. Carrying on around the East of the Llyn the path then makes its way diagonally up the back of the valley. We passed the queuing climbers at the base of the Idwal slabs and pushed onwards on an ever steepening track up to the devils kitchen. The rock architecture is quite simply stunning but there is no real sense of exposure. This is one of those routes that give ordinary walkers a sense of what climbers enjoy.

IMG_0207.jpg
Y Garn

IMG_0213.jpg
Reflections in Llyn Idwal

IMG_0215.jpg
Cwm Idwal

IMG_0216.jpg
Looking to the back of the cwm

IMG_0217.jpg
More beautiful views

IMG_0235.jpg
Tryfan

IMG_0238.jpg
Climbers on the Idwal slabs

The gradient eases before to long leaving a gentle pull up to the high point of the pass with a stunning view towards Pen yr Ole Wen before dropping down to the tarn. We had lunch following some midge dodging before setting off back the way we came. This is a fantastic walk and a route we’ll revisit in the future while bagging Y Garn and perhaps Glyder Fawr.

IMG_0228.jpg
Pen yr Ole Wen

IMG_0231.jpg
Llyn y cwn

IMG_0232.jpg
Y Garn

We left Wales for the Lakes with some reluctance. Nothing against the Lakes you understand but our taste of Snowdonia left us wanting more. We’ll be back!
Last edited by johnkaysleftleg on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: A fond farewell in the Devil's Kitchen

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:22 am

Some lovely photos there :) . Llyn Idwal is an impressive spot - any walk you do around there is brilliant. Having spent the last 9 months wallowing in the bogs of the less celebrated Welsh hills, this is a reminder for me to visit some of the classic bits next time I'm there.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ChrisW » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:06 am

Now this is more like it JK, great to see the weather improve for you and your stunning photos of the result....I can see why you will be returning :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby garyhortop » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Great Report JK and some absolutely stunning photo's!! :D

Also brought back some very fond memories for me as the Idwal slabs was the second climb I ever did as a naive teenager (so - many moons ago!) experiencing my first real mountains in the UK (the first climb was Boch Clwyd Buttress) with my brother and brother in law - Well worth a second visit and reminds me that I really need to get my behind back up there!! :shock:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby jaybee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:03 pm

I have fond memories of this area.
Y Garn is my favourite mountain in Snowdonia; best followed by a descent of Devil's kitchen.
It has everything you need for a good walk and wonderful views across to Tryfan.
Thanks for the reflection photo - beautiful.
Hope to revisit Wales in the autumn and maybe a quick climb will be on the cards.
jaybee
Mountain Walker

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Cwm Idwal is a truly amazing place. Spent a day down there in May during an Alpine preparation course with PyB in cracking weather and it was perhaps one of the best places i've seen anywhere. We started on the same route as you but went up a long grassy gully and came out just below the Cniefion Arete and then back along, did some abseiling and down climbing practice, then some moving together roped up and another hairy abseil off the climbing routes and back down to the path and out to the car park. Great day out that was !

Equal to anything Scotland has to offer in summer !
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:52 pm

malky_c wrote:Some lovely photos there :) . Llyn Idwal is an impressive spot - any walk you do around there is brilliant. Having spent the last 9 months wallowing in the bogs of the less celebrated Welsh hills, this is a reminder for me to visit some of the classic bits next time I'm there.

Thanks Malky

jaybee wrote:I have fond memories of this area.
Y Garn is my favourite mountain in Snowdonia; best followed by a descent of Devil's kitchen.
It has everything you need for a good walk and wonderful views across to Tryfan.
Thanks for the reflection photo - beautiful.
Hope to revisit Wales in the autumn and maybe a quick climb will be on the cards.

It was really hard not to go bag Y Garn but we really didn't have time.

ChrisW wrote:Now this is more like it JK, great to see the weather improve for you and your stunning photos of the result....I can see why you will be returning :clap:

Cheers Chris

garyhortop wrote:Great Report JK and some absolutely stunning photo's!! :D

Also brought back some very fond memories for me as the Idwal slabs was the second climb I ever did as a naive teenager (so - many moons ago!) experiencing my first real mountains in the UK (the first climb was Boch Clwyd Buttress) with my brother and brother in law - Well worth a second visit and reminds me that I really need to get my behind back up there!! :shock:

Thanks Gary, I'm no climber but the Idwal slabs did look like good fun.

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Cwm Idwal is a truly amazing place. Spent a day down there in May during an Alpine preparation course with PyB in cracking weather and it was perhaps one of the best places i've seen anywhere. We started on the same route as you but went up a long grassy gully and came out just below the Cniefion Arete and then back along, did some abseiling and down climbing practice, then some moving together roped up and another hairy abseil off the climbing routes and back down to the path and out to the car park. Great day out that was !

Equal to anything Scotland has to offer in summer !

Now that sounds like an amazing day out. I'd agree that it's on of the finest places in Britain.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland