walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Old man of storr

Old man of storr

Postby manju-k » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Hi,
I am new to this forum and new to scotland.

I am planning to visit Skye for the long week end 25th-27th Aug.
Starting edinburgh by bus on 24th evening and spend 25th and 26th in skye and return on 27th.

I am thinking of staying in Portree and want to visit near by sites like Old man of storr.

I am not a experienced walker, but interested in short walks... say max 8 km to and fro.

Can any one please suggest me or point me to good references to visit Old man of storr and
other places around Portree.

Thanks for any information.
Regards,
Manju
manju-k
Mountaineer

Re: Old man of storr

Postby RicKamila » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Hiya :wave:

If its only 2 full days you have and you choose to stay in Portree then I'd spend the first evening off the bus at The Isles Inn just next to Somerled Square for some food and a pint or three. Then choose the day with the best forecast weather for the Old Man as the views are stunning. You can get the bus from the square (choose the one that goes to Flodigarry first - anti-clockwise - not Uig as it goes the long way) or walk past the Bosville Hotel and up the road a bit and stick a thumb out for a lift. Skye is a friendly Island when it comes to giving strangers a lift. Quiraing would also be a good choice for a walk, but it would require getting to Staffin, then hitching to the top of the Quiraing road (Flodigarry bus or hitch a lift again). Or get a lift or taxi to the Braes and climb Ben Tianavaig for some good views of the Cuillins.

There is also a hostel at Flodigarry and you'd have access to Rubha Huinish and Quiraing from there and could hitch a lift or get the bus to Storr.

All can be found here - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/trotternish.shtml

Don't forget you'll need some decent shoes, a jacket as the weather can change, midge-repellent (Go to the fish and chip shop down by the harbour where you can buy something called Smidge, if not then go to Boots and buy Jungle Formula). Mobile phones don't work well on Skye once out of Portree/Broadford/Dunvegan, so be aware of that too. Don't do what I have seen and climb in motorbike leathers, or flip-flops, or high-heels etc etc as seen at Storr and take some water with you.

Hope you have fun. I love the Isle of Skye.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion