walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Best walks in Cairngorms?

Best walks in Cairngorms?

Postby FionaCam » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:53 am

Hi everyone,
i'm planning a backpacking trip from Aviemore to Pitlochry, (passing through Braemar to restock on chocolate :D ), and hoping you could give me some advice about 2 days of possible fair weather/foul weather walks in the vicinity of corrour bothy and bob scotts bothy. I am more interested in varied walks/habitats with great views, than summit-bagging per se, (but am not afeared of a good climb!), and i also like to fit in lochs at some point if i can, but I'm not too keen on the idea of wandering around on my own all day in a white-out - so hope to work out alternative routes if weather is inclement. Any suggestions?
Fiona
FionaCam
Scrambler

Re: Best walks in Cairngorms?

Postby jmarkb » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:32 am

From Corrour bothy you could climb the Devil's Point (and carry on to Cairn Toul if you wanted), or you could visit Garbh Coire and Lochan Uaine. From Bob Scott's you could do a wee circuit of Sgor Mor, or head up Glen Derry to Loch Etchachan.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:35 am

From Bob Scott's it is a nice walk up Glen Derry through old Caledonian Pine woods to the treeless top of the glen, then up left into Corrie Etchachan, past the Hutchison hut up to Loch Etchachan, (do not cross the water directly above the waterfall, but go on the wee sometimes sub-surface causeway between Little Loch Etchachan and the main loch). Walk on the plateau over to Loch A'an, turn right and walk along the lochside until you reach the end of the loch, go right again, down past the Dubh Lochans, through the pass of Lairigh na Laoigh (pronounced Loo-ey, meaning pass of the calves) and then you are up at the top end of Glen Lui again. Walking by the river is often nicer and more conducive to seeing wildlife than staying on the path.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 am

Caberfeidh wrote:From Bob Scott's it is a nice walk up Glen Derry through old Caledonian Pine woods to the treeless top of the glen, then up left into Corrie Etchachan, past the Hutchison hut up to Loch Etchachan, (do not cross the water directly above the waterfall, but go on the wee sometimes sub-surface causeway between Little Loch Etchachan and the main loch). Walk on the plateau over to Loch A'an, turn right and walk along the lochside until you reach the end of the loch, go right again, down past the Dubh Lochans, through the pass of Lairigh na Laoigh (pronounced Loo-ey, meaning pass of the calves) and then you are up at the top end of Glen Lui again. Walking by the river is often nicer and more conducive to seeing wildlife than staying on the path.

This would make a tremendous day out , Loch a'an is one of my favourite places and it is well worth adding on a wee detour to the Barns of Mheadhoin if you are passing this way.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

With the proviso, of course, that coming through past the Dubh Lochans takes you back to the head of Glen Derry, not Glen Lui, which is not reached until you go all the way down Glen Derry. Easy slip of the keyboard when you're writing about the Lairig an Laoigh. :D
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am

But yes, it is a lovely walk. :D :D
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:33 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:With the proviso, of course, that coming through past the Dubh Lochans takes you back to the head of Glen Derry, not Glen Lui, which is not reached until you go all the way down Glen Derry. Easy slip of the keyboard when you're writing about the Lairig an Laoigh. :D

Ooops! My hill-cred is slipping! :shock: Take a fishing rod and get a few trout from Loch A'an for supper, be the envy of those bothy-rats eating their freeze-dried rehydrated muck!
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion