walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Super sunny Stob Binnein

Super sunny Stob Binnein

Postby U059361 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Binnein

Date walked: 10/08/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1045m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Participants: Joe
Weather: cloud over every hill then slowly breaking up lower down, top sunny and very warm.
Route: Worn path all the way
Mobile Reception: Only patchy along ridge only.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather forecast was for glorious weather and how often are they wrong. So driving in from Balquhidder my heart drops as I go under 100% cloud cover to the car park. A few people already there but sitting waiting for better weather. A few cars turn round and go back again. I just got out and decided to chase the clouds away. On the way up a little sunshine appeared and a glimpse of a cloud free Cruach Ardain just to get the adrenaline going. Steep start to the walk and the fence is a welcome sight. Soon reached the style and round between the crags. View over Loch Voil and and munros beyond all with their tops cut off in the cloud. The walk is a more gentle climb from here and as I rounded the top of Stob Invercarnaig I could see the way to the next rise and the cloud lifting off it. So kept on going. The sun was starting to appear more frequently now and as I reached the cairn at the rise got my first view of the top of Stob Binnien with just the remains of a little cloud on it. So now lots of blue sky and was it warm too, even the wind was warm.
P8102086.JPG
Stob Binnein with the ridge walk up to it from the first cairn

Walked along the ridge with cloud from the glens on either side bubbling up and occasionally passing between me and the top.
P8102091.JPG
Stob Binnein from cairn at Stob Coire an Lochain

Thought I might get there and find it cloud covered again as it tried once more but it cleared away again and remained prefect all the time I was at the top. There were three people already there, two had already climbed Ben More. I had a look but not today.
P8102094.JPG
The ridge walk from the top framed by clouds

P8102103.JPG
Looking down to the bealach and over to Ben More

Great views all around and very atmospheric, reminded me of walking in the Alps, I love watching cloud when it is below me.
P8102105.JPG
Looking down into Inverlochlarig Glen

Had my lunch sunbathing at the top. Incredible, so this is summer.
P8102107.JPG
Coming back, Loch Voil looks so much better under a blue sky.

Eventually the cloud burned away and I walked back down the same way, enjoying every minute. Passed a few folk on the way up, the people waiting for the better weather. They missed the best of the show.
Back down I poured the rest of my water over my head to cool down a bit and sat with my back to the sun to dry out a bit, my shirt was soaking. A memorable day. :D
U059361
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:38
Fionas:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland