walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Solo wild camp on Ben Cleuch

Solo wild camp on Ben Cleuch

Postby mitchell1982 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:22 pm

Route description: Ben Cleuch circular

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Donalds included on this walk: Ben Cleuch

Date walked: 10/08/2012

Time taken: 24 hours

Ascent: 721m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Got finished work early on Friday. Weather was nice, already had my gear packed ready for the weekend so showered and off I went. Decided to head south to the Ochils. Went into Tullicoultry outlet for some supplies. Then headed over to hill road and park up next to the local pub. Got the boots on and started up the steps towards the quarry, through a metal gate and then on to the grassy zig zag path. Around the path then had nice views down onto the bridge. Down the steps and Boom! The path is closed! Doesn't matter, there was a few routes to a few hills. Crossed a little wooden bridge to the right. A very steep hill with a rocky scramble then up onto a steep grassy path. The sun was beaming down, I had to stop for a wee rest. A couple of local lads with only trainers and shorts come screaming past me. " Alright Lad, You on your way up or down?" "Up" I sighed! :roll: After a wee minute I started off again. Got about another 200m and decided it was far too hot to carry all my gear and I decided to leave the path and head around the hill to find a wee spot to pitch the tent out of the way.
Found a great wee spot with views over Tillicoultry. Got the tent pitched and headed down to a wee burn with another tin bridge. Braw!! Got the boots, socks and t-shirt off and done a spot of sun-bathing with feet dangling in the water.

Once the sun started to cool down again, I headed back up to my tent. Had a quick drink and headed for the summit. The view's were great. Only seen one other walker on the way up. Back down to the tent and got the stove out and made Thai Green chicken curry straight out the bag... I was well impressed! Lovely! But as the sun dies down... out come the Midges! Ahhh... Little &%^$^$%£" Time to zip up the fly sheet! My tent was pitched on a slight slope with my head at the top of the slope recliner tent! Perfect night's sleep! :wink: As the sun went down all the street lights came on underneath me in Tillicoultry and Edinburgh across the water, perfect wee spot!

My first solo hill climb and my first wild camp on up a hill... Done! Braw, loved it and will be doing it again soon. Think I'll do 2 or more nights next time.
Attachments
Mitchell 067.JPG
The quarry on the way back down
DSCF0037.JPG
Good morning!
DSCF0036.JPG
Night view from the tent
DSCF0030.JPG
View's over Tillicoultry and the Forth road bridge in the distance
DSCF0029.JPG
Amazing views from the summit
DSCF0021.JPG
Grassy path to the summit
DSCF0020.JPG
Room with a view
DSCF0016.JPG
The tin bridge crossing the burn
DSCF0012.JPG
Pitched up on the hill
DSCF0011.JPG
The view to the west, King's seat hill to the right
DSCF0009.JPG
Looking back at the steps before wooden bridge
DSCF0007.JPG
Ben Cleuch
DSCF0005.JPG
The bridge that was closed
mitchell1982
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Solo wild camp on Ben Cleuch

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:32 pm

What a cracking wee trip :D .
mitchell1982 wrote:Got finished work early on Friday. Weather was nice, already had my gear packed ready for the weekend so showered and off I went.

Making the most of every spare minute of the day :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby ScottishLeaf » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:14 pm

That bridge has been closed at the bottom of The Law since at least the turn of the year. I was up there in February in a clagfest. But have been in the Ochils many times as I live close by.
PS. I think What you thought was Edinburgh is actually Grangemouth with Longannet almost directly across the Forth from it. The refinery is brute ugly by day, but makes for a beautiful and spectacular light show by night. Amost like an American city. If you look hard at your picture, you can see one light near the centre that's slightly higher and brighter than the rest.... The Flare, every Grangemouth home's night light.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby nathan79 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice report. I walk the Ochils fairly regularly but i've never got around to camping there yet.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby mitchell1982 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:44 pm

Thank you. I thought Grangemouth was further to the right. I also thought I could see the forth road bridge and the railway bridge next to it? Over to the right was another bridge which I thought was Kincardine with Grangemouth behind it? The Ochils are nice, think next time I'll get dropped off at Dollar and make my way over the Ochils and get picked up in Blackford :0)
mitchell1982
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby alfie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:12 pm

brilliant!!fancy a bit of that myself! :clap:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby hills » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Brilliant, always wondered what the view must be like at night from the ochils over the cities, looks tasty. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby ScottishLeaf » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:38 pm

mitchell1982 wrote:Thank you. I thought Grangemouth was further to the right. I also thought I could see the forth road bridge and the railway bridge next to it? Over to the right was another bridge which I thought was Kincardine with Grangemouth behind it? The Ochils are nice, think next time I'll get dropped off at Dollar and make my way over the Ochils and get picked up in Blackford :0)

Now you say that, you could be right! Getting myself all confused now lol

Anyway Defo a grand way to spend a night. Cleuch is good fun.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland